• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need a load for a harpers ferry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
picked up a pedersoli. what is an ok load? 35 grains 3f? how about a 50 cal pistol? 25-30 3f?

got a little derringer 45, short little barrel, 10-15 grains? more than that I think the barrel gets filled before the ball would go in.

Assuming this is the 58 cal version, 35 grs 2Fg or 3Fg I've found is borderline "not fun." Although the Pedersoli replica has a rifled barrel, I've not found much accuracy difference with a bare 0.570" RB and a simple wad to hold it in place, or if I use a patch. I use 20 to 25 grs 3Fg and have fun punching paper.

FWIW, some say the Pedersoli lock geometry causes the flint to strike the frizzen at too high an angle. A better lock design would scrape the flint along the frizzen at a lower angle and provide better flint life.

I've not found flint life a problem, but I find all flints of the correct width are too long, and will not let the frizzen seat correctly on the pan at half-cock ... so I shorten them by grinding material off the back edge with a green wheel (the kind for sharpening carbide tools).

I have an older model HF in .54cal smoothbore, i use 35g 3F and a PRB. it has no rear sight so accuracy for paper punching is not that great but it is fun to shoot.It is good for dueling matches and will shoot buckshot and birdshot very well at 15 yards.

Back