• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neck Knife and striker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying B

.54 cal
Reaction score
A kneck knife and striker I made for myself.
Sheath made from rawhide.
Blade and striker forged from file
Elk Tine handle
130305921_5526123954071812_5404130880337180326_n.jpg
130570687_5526123864071821_8682105843240749121_n.jpg
130705941_5526123800738494_1506721333163474758_n.jpg
130712462_5526123664071841_5076596245229350020_n.jpg

A kneck knife and striker I made for myself.
Sheath made from rawhide.
Blade and striker forged from file
Elk Tine handleView attachment 90677View attachment 90678View attachment 90679View attachment 90680
Howdy:
If I might ask? What is the inside of the sheath made of? I made a bunch of sheathes out of rawhide, but the stuff is like rock or sandpaper once it dries! I found that lining the sheath with veg. tanned helped a little, but not a lot. So I was just wondering about how you handled that problem?
Nice work, by the way.
Thank you.
Two Feathers

Howdy:
If I might ask? What is the inside of the sheath made of? I made a bunch of sheathes out of rawhide, but the stuff is like rock or sandpaper once it dries! I found that lining the sheath with veg. tanned helped a little, but not a lot. So I was just wondering about how you handled that problem?
Nice work, by the way.
Thank you.
Two Feathers

Two Feathers,

The rawhide is basically a outer cover over a veg tanned sheath. Sorry I should have said that in my original post . The finished sheath is hard on the outside but soft on the inside. Rawhide is nature’s version of kydex 😊
Thanks

Two Feathers,

The rawhide is basically a outer cover over a veg tanned sheath. Sorry I should have said that in my original post . The finished sheath is hard on the outside but soft on the inside. Rawhide is nature’s version of kydex 😊
Thanks
Flyingbknives:
Thank you. Sounds just like what I do? I have tried making an inner sheath out of buckskin but that's too soft. Thanks for your reply.
There's NO DOUBT that it's "Natures Kydex." Hard as a woman's heart and twice as nasty to deal with. :eek::thumb:
God bless:
Two Feathers

To be honest I hate making sheaths. So much that I started making folders just to avoid sheaths 😁
Truth be told, I'm NO fan of leather work myself, but in this business it's just a necessary Evil. I'm remaking the sheath for my Buffalo Skinner. I think folks don't like the sheath I have listed with the knife? Not bad enough I had to make it once, but now I have to make it again! :dunno:

Never made a folder. Are you speaking of 18th. century penny knives; friction folders, ring back folders, or modern folders? If it's 18th. or 19th. century, please send a pic.
Thank you for your time.
God bless:
Two Feathers

For me, small knives like the first one are way more useful than a large Bowie or green river style. But I don’t use mine for skinning Buffalo or chopping wood. 😄

Good looking knives!

Hey, Thanks my friend:
BEAUTIFUL work. I've always been intrigued by the intricacies on the stops and how to design them, so they work. Beyond me, I'm afraid?
Thank you for sharing your pics.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Flyingbknives:
Thank you. Sounds just like what I do? I have tried making an inner sheath out of buckskin but that's too soft. Thanks for your reply.
There's NO DOUBT that it's "Natures Kydex." Hard as a woman's heart and twice as nasty to deal with. :eek::thumb:
God bless:
Two Feathers
I've built sheathes with a rawhide liner and horse-hide on the outside.
(What a PAIN! The wet molded rawhide shrinks quite a bit making it hard to get a good "molded fit". )
Davo

Back