• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms vs Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteJoe

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a "Mystery" double 12 gauge. I looks exactly like any of several Pedersoli doubles I have owned in the past but is not marked as to the maker. Under the barrels is has Italian proof marks and "1 1/4 OZ shot made in Italy 12ga" all in one line. The only other mark is a serial number on the side of the left barrel. The hammer shape, engraving of the hammers, lockplate, tang, triggerguard and entry thimble are all identical to Pedersoli, as are stock dimensions and checkering pattern.
I was told by a perspective buyer that if the barrels are not chrome lined it is a Navy Arms gun. The bores are not chrome lined, I know because I had no problem in cutting jug chokes for modified and full choke. But I had thought Navy Arms doubles were made by Pedersoli and marked "Navy Arms".
When I bought the gun I didn't much care that it wasn't marked, it looked like Pedersoli, was very well built and after jug choking it shoots very good patterns. But now I have it up for sale on Gunbroker and would like to be able to provide more information. Can anyone help here?

The maker's mark should be there with the proof marks on the bottom of the barrels. I think we have a chart here that gives both proof and maker's marks. Look for it in Member Resources.

I don't think that all the early Navy Arms guns were marked by them. That came later, and was a roll stamp on the side of the barrel. I could be wrong on this. I am just vaguely remembering the earliest Navy Arms gun I saw somewhere..... I should be forgiven after more than 40 years, don't you think??? :blah: :hmm: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul and thanks to Claude for the charts. That does identify it as Gardone proof house 1983 but still doesn't identify the maker. There are several letters or numerals stamped too lightly to make out. I still think it safe to assume it was made by Pedersoli, regardless of who may have imported and sold it.

I purchased mine from Navy Arms in 1987 or 88 and it also was a Pietta (so marked). No choke, nice light weight 12 gauge.

Oldnamvet said:
I had a Navy Arms double from the early 80's that was made by Pietta.
That makes sense, but did the Pietta guns look exactly like Pedersolis? And was it marked both Pietta and Navy Arms?
Lots of importers have come and gone over the past 25 years and it seems this gun could have been made for any of them.

Joe, I had a Navy Arms 12 ga that I bought in 1977 made by Pietta. It had no markings on it to identify it was made by Pietta. The only way I found out it was made by Pietta was when I broke a main spring and had to order a new one from Navy Arms. Locks were identical as far as plate size and shape, insides were different. Barrels were mod. & full, not chrome lined. Barrels were very well regulated, ball printed same hole at 40 yds. and patterns were at same POI at 35 yds with #6 shot (beautiful patterns). Steel in the barrels were different also, Pietta took browning better than the Pedersoli. Hope this helps.

Rick

Joe: Try doing a pencil rub on paper over those marks to make them more " readible". :thumbsup:

If all else fails, put a call in to Dixie Gun Works and ask them about the guns. They have been selling Navy Arms( and other brands) guns from the beginning.

Tried that Paul and also tried rubbing over it with chalk and examining through a 10x loupe. The markings present are clearly legible, there just isn't any makers mark.
I think I may have sidetracked everyone with the Navy Arms question. Navy is just an importer and even if it could be said definitely Navy that still wouldn't identify the maker. There were a lot of firms importing in the eighties but how many Italian firms were making percussion doubles in the familiar Pedersoli style?

Joe

I have a Navy Arms shotgun which is stamped "NAVY ARMS CO.INC.RIDGEFIELD N.J." on top of the right barrel. The bottom side of the left barrel is marked "EDERSOLI 89 GRAINS BLACK POWDER ONLY". Below that is another line that goes "1 1/4 OZ SHOT MADE IN ITALY 12 G". The "P" is missing from Pedersoli. The proof stamp indicates the year 1984. The box it came in is also marked Pedersoli. Hope this info helps.

That sound exactly like my gun but without the "navy arms" marking and missing the whole word "Pedersoli". Probably a small start-up importer who didn't want his name on the gun. The barrels are 28" and it weighs 7 pounds, 3 ounces.
Thanks to all who've helped out here, I think we've chased this possum about as far as he will run.

Mine was marked with Pietta and "NAVY ARMS CO.INC.RIDGEFIELD N.J.". It did not have charge info stamped on barrels but that info was in the instruction book

Well whoever made it, it's a good gun and I put some time and work into the jug chokes. I hope it's future owner will appreciate it.

Back