• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Sow's Ear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trent/OH said:
Slowgo, assuming the tacks have been there for quite awhile, does the wood "protected" by the tacks react differently than the wood which has been exposed all these years? Does it accept or repel dye and/or oil differently?

I didn't notice any difference in the way it took the stain. My light sanding cut through any patina it had acquired over the years and the tack-protected areas seemed to stain just like the rest of the stock. 'Course I really wasn't all that concerned about it since I was going to replace the tacks anyway.

One more picture: After living with the results of my renovation for a few days, I decided that I really should do something about the barrel. I had some left over 220 aluminum oxide from a previous project so I masked off the top three barrel flats and blasted them to a matte finish. On the spur of the moment, just to see what would happen, I masked off a quick sketch of some scroll work on the top flat. (Ordinarily, I would have cut the design and then masked it off around the edges.) I don't think I'll do that again. The sketch mask streched and moved slightly when I was burnishing it and so, when I stripped all the masking off, I dismayed to find that I would have to cut the design a bit loose to try and match the wavering border between the two finishes.

Here's how it came out:

Back