• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My old / new to me flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Burlesontom , like you I really enjoy my cap lock rifles and will continue to shoot them , but as of right now the flintlock is getting all of the attention . I too learn something new here everyday , Great place .,,,RW

Yes, there are four methods that I know.

One, you're in a hurry, so you take the back or spine of your patch knife, or another tool, and tap along the edge of the flint to knock off some flakes to get your rifle or musket back into action. This is used in a shooting competition or in a battle reenactment.

Two, with the cock fully forward holding the flint, you use the edge of the frizzen where it contacts the back of the pan and press downwards against the top of the edge of the flint to cause it to flake. This can be tough on the cock and on the frizzen hinge.

Three, as you mentioned in the video, you either leave the flint in place, or some people remove it and put it on a hard surface, then they take a small, brass punch, and tap the butt of the punch with a small hammer while the tip of the punch is against the edge of the flint..., to make small flakes, and to sharpen the edge.

Four, you remove the flint, and place it on a thick piece of leather as a pad, you use the tip of a small piece of antler, and very carefully press down with that tip, against the edge of the flint. This is the ancient pressure-flake technique used to sharpen stone knives, spear points, and arrow points, and this seems to be the most controlled way to remove as little flint as possible to hone the edge, thus you get the most life from the flint.

LD

A test my 54 Flintlock .
sorry did not work. RW Did this time . RW

Thanks Jaegermeister, I thought it would be a cheek slapper , but it wasn't . Very easy on the shoulder . RW

Back