• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
562b7acf42fcff87ff081f173dd8dab1.jpeg

Kibler Woodsrunner kit in .50 or SMR kit in .36.

The SMR uses a 5/16 rammer for .40 and .45 so while it's possible to use the heftier rod with those calibers, his kits won't support it. Get a good range rod and muzzle protector.

Kibler's "production" locks don't need tuning. He designs and manufacturers them to exacting tolerances and finishes and they are all alike.

A warning, though, if a Kibler creation is your first kit, you will be sorely disappointed with most other kits you get in the future unless you spend the money on a Chambers or Clay Smith etc. Kibler is the only one machining his stocks, locks, and furniture on megabuck HAAS CNC machines and there is no comparison to duplicators and hand-finished lock parts.

Just plinking and hunting. I think I have settled on 50 caliber. Probably no competition at my age.
What do you hunt?
A .50 is a great gun, little big for squirrels but will do deer well, white and black tails, and mule deer.
Elk May by the state have to use a conical, and it’s on the small side for moose.
Of deer, and white tail at that in the woods a .45 will do and do squirrels as well if legal. And is cheep for plinking

Triggers set or single ? 3 of mine have the double set & if you hunt during cold weather n have gloves on. You had best be aware of finger placement. I have another with a single trigger i like better for that reason.

What do you hunt?
A .50 is a great gun, little big for squirrels but will do deer well, white and black tails, and mule deer.
Elk May by the state have to use a conical, and it’s on the small side for moose.
Of deer, and white tail at that in the woods a .45 will do and do squirrels as well if legal. And is cheep for plinking
Mostly deer and occasionally squirrels. I am in process of buying a 50 cal Renegade with double set triggers to see how I like a flintlock. It will be a nice companion to my 50 Cal percussion Renegade that I built years ago from a kit. It has taken a number of deer.

Don’t forget with a flinter the lock is everything. Lots of trouble free shooting and much easier learning curve with a good one. With a poor one you will get frustrated fast.

I have production and custom guns in both single and double set. I prefer the look of the double trigger in my flinters and like shooting them. Can pull set then fire if have time or can just pull trigger and will work just as well. Have done both at range and hunting, other then a little harder pull, I personally see no issues with shooting double set trigger on just main trigger. Basically comes down to your preference. As far as caliber, would be based on your main purpose for gun, just a plinker or small game, then I'd say .36 or .40. If gonna be large game hunting gun, then absolutely the .50.

Back