• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my new pistols showed up today (sorry no pics)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
my order from dixiegunworks came in today, a Lyman 50 cal plains pistol and a Pedersoli Liegi pistol.

the plains pistol: im pretty impressed with this pistol the weight and feel to the gun is pretty good. the overall quallity is much better then expected for a cheap gun. every thing fits together nicely and the hammer/trigger both function smoothly. i really like the belt "clip", it fits my old cross-breed belt perfectly.

the Liegi: the quallity on this pistol is pretty poor to say the least. none of the parts seem to fit together well leaving visual gaps and a crooked trigger. the threading on the barrel was done poorly, strips of steel where hanging from the start and finish of the threading. on the bright side every thing seems to function properly and cleaning access on this pistol is very open. this could be one awsome little pistol if pedersoli would put a little more effort into quallity.

will take both pistols out to the woods this weekend and put em threw the paces on some soda cans.

New barrels have a heavy packing grease applied at the factories,,they don't know when the item will be sold off the shelf.

Be sure to use a petroleum oil slovent to clean all traces of this grease from the bore and fire channel.
Brake cleaner works well, and lot's of patches.

i just used denatured alchohol, seems to wash grease and oil away pretty effectively.

I actualy use gas,
Remove the barrel submerse in a soup can with gas and do the pump action thing.
Then use brake cleaner and alchohol to remove the gas.

thanks

i now have a Pedersoli dixie pennsylvania long rifle, a ArmiSport springfield 1842 rifled musket, a pietta 1858 new army, a Lyman plains pistol (50 cal), and the Pedersoli liegi pistol...

this muzzle loading stuff is like crack and i think ive developed a problem... which can onley be cured by buying a flintlock smooth bore rifle. :grin:

(another gun will have to wait till i can scrounge up more $$ though, so it will be a while)

range report:

the plains pistol: i really enjoyed this pistol however i will need to mess around with the loads cause accuracy was very hit and miss at 25 yrds. so far ive been using 35 grains of 3F a .490 ball and .018 prelubed pillow ticking. the .490 ball and the pillow ticking are a very tight fit, just shy of needing to be hammered in. i have a feeling my ball/patch combo is good i just need to play around with the powder load.

the liegi: this pistol is a hoot to fire and very fast to load thanks to the screw system. having said that, i cant hit a dang thing with it! to hit a 16 oz soda bottle i have to be inside 2 yards. with my current powder ball combo it also seems to have no powder. the .454 ball over roughly 11-12 grains (the max load that will fit) of pyrodex "P" bounces off 1/2" plywood at close range (under 2 yards). it felt like i got a little more power out of the pistol at least recoil wise using schuetzen 3F but this didnt do anything to the plywood either.

pietta 1858: brought this pistol along as an old standby and as always it was a crowd pleaser. a .454 ball over two wads (one lubed and one dry) and 25 grains of schuetzen 3F yeilds power that impessed my coeworkers. seems like most people dont reallize how dangerous and powerfull these old black powder weapons were. using this load i can shoot threw the 1/2" plywood and the 2x6 nailed to the back of it at 25 yards like it was made of butter.

overall the trip was a blast and i had the chance to introduce a coeworker to the world of muzzleloading. to solve my Liegi pistol issues i think ill try using a .457 ball, this should allow for a greater build-up of pressure before the ball leaves the short barrel.

Congrats on your new pistols, I enjoy shooting mine.

Shooting a pistol is a lot of fun and dose of frustration at times.

I've found that I get better accuracy at 25 yards from lighter charges in my Patriot and CVA Kentucky, both of which are 45 caliber. I generally shoot 15 grains of FFF, .440 ball and .015 patching.

15 grains is a seriously light load! not sure id wanna do less then 25 grains.

Using ultra light powder loads like 15 grains in a .45 caliber pistol won't harm the gun but there is a definite danger if a gun with a light load is fired into something like a piece of plywood.

Often when this is done the ball/bullet will bounce back directly towards the shooter and it can cause some serious injury.

Well, it doesn't take a lot of velocity to punch a hole in a paper target. I have upped the charge to 20 grains when shooting at the 50 yard line targets. I'll be testing 17,5 grains at the 50 yard line next time I'm at the range.

That's correct Zonie, I did assume the shooter was using a paper target NOT on a plywood backer but a conventional cardboard backer. I should not have made that assumption.

gifford said:
That's correct Zonie, I did assume the shooter was using a paper target NOT on a plywood backer but a conventional cardboard backer. I should not have made that assumption.

it should be noted i shoot at wood pallets with targets stapled to them. light loads for this purpose are bad juju.

Back