• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new CVA Squirrel gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20230812_123158959_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230812_123244626_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230812_123300059_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230812_123319576_HDR.jpg

I found my .32 CVA Squirrel rifle today. It looks like new except for a small spot on the stock where the finish is chipped off.

Last edited:
Congrats. Hope it shoots well for you. Those little .32's are fun to shoot and squirrel hunt with for sure.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I have powder & caps but no .32 caliber ammo. I'll pick up some later this evening or on Monday.
This makes three rifles that I have now, that are ready to shoot, but I haven't shot yet.

IMG_20230813_081730096_HDR.jpg

I dropped a light down the bore. It looks as good on the inside as it does on the outside.
I removed the barrel and the lock from the stock. Everything looks good there too. I'm happy.
Now I need a .58 cal for my collection.

I bought and finished out a CVA Mountain Rifle kit some 45 years ago and I have one of their older two piece stock Kentucky rifles my son gave me. I find that CVA makes a darn good rifle! When I was shooting that Mountain Rifle in club matches back in the late 70’s I was placing and wining against some fine shooters and higher priced rifles.

That little .32 should be a hoot to shoot! Congratulations!

Nice rifle. You will enjoy it. I have one that came with .32 and .45 barrels. This makes it a small game and deer rifle. Great gun for kids and smaller stature folks.

Happy hunting and shooting.

You got a nice one! My dad built one from a kit back in the mid to late 80's when I was a teenager. He use to take a limit of squirrels on a regular basis and the occasional coon in NC. It's a flintlock, the first barrel got bored out and made into a shotgun and the current barrel on it now is a rifled 32 caliber with some custom hand made sights. It was always a blast to shoot.

I'm hoping tomorrow will be the day when I shoot my new squirrel gun for the first time. However I realized that I have a problem. My ramrod has only one end, a cleaning jag on it. While I was at the gun shop picking up some .310 round balls yesterday I bought another end, another cleaning jag but it has male threads on it as does the ramrod.
When I drop the rod into the bore it goes about 3/4" past the muzzle. As it is I have nothing to push against when seating the ball & patch onto the charge. Guess I need an end for the rod with female threads and long enough to extend the ramrod a little.

I'm hoping tomorrow will be the day when I shoot my new squirrel gun for the first time. However I realized that I have a problem. My ramrod has only one end, a cleaning jag on it. While I was at the gun shop picking up some .310 round balls yesterday I bought another end, another cleaning jag but it has male threads on it as does the ramrod.
When I drop the rod into the bore it goes about 3/4" past the muzzle. As it is I have nothing to push against when seating the ball & patch onto the charge. Guess I need an end for the rod with female threads and long enough to extend the ramrod a little.
Those are great little rifles. I ordered one out of the Bass pro mailer back in the nineties and really enjoyed shooting it. Sold it a few years later and always regretted letting it go. I've got one in .36 now and it is a dandy little rifle. For the ramrod ends, if all you need are tips, I've bought them on eBay by Treso at very reasonable prices. They also have a Treso kit that contains all the ramrod accessories. Like a patch worm, scraper, jag, and other stuff. Let us know how she shoots and have fun with it.

Bought one for my Grandson a couple years back and love shooting it. Mine is an older model that has the same sight they used on the Mountain rifle. Per the previous owner, I shoot 10 grains 3f and use a pretty thin patch for ease of loading.

I have a T handle I screw on to the ramrod which really helps out. The other thing I see from your photo is a bad alignment of the hammer to nipple. A common issue with CVA guns. You can probably crank that bolster a little to move the nipple up some. Get a 6x1 metric bolt from the hardware store and replace the nipple with that. Apply a little heat around the bolster (barrel removed from the stock) and use a crescent wrench to apply torque. You will not need to move it very much.

Latest posts

Back