• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my Inkle loom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickey Brown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I knocked this one together from scrap maple laying around the shop. Now I can make my own straps and sashes
CRW_0613_zps3e7927f7.jpg

CRW_0614_zpsd249033d.jpg

It takes a bit of practice to learn to keep the tension the same for each pass of the shuttle. When the tension varies, the width is uneven. Like anything, it's practice, practice, practice. :hatsoff:

After seeing yours, I am getting a hankering to get mine out and make a few more straps. It can be a bit addictive. :wink:

yes, I'm aware of the tension thing. I'm still learning. This is my first attempt. I plan to make them for our French post members

horner75 said:
...a good cotton yarn....

Wish I still had it, but I once made a bag strap using waxed 12-ply linen thread. Gotta get some more of the thread and make another.

Being waxed and linen, it was just about bomb proof in any weather. No stretching when wet and almost no tendency to roll on my shoulder. No signs of wear even after a year of heavy use. It looked and acted almost like a high grade of canvas. Let it go when I gave the bag to a friend, and he's still proud. The 7-ply is cheaper as well as smaller, but I may try that next time.

Back