• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Hawken Gimmer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I have a .54 percussion Lyman GPR that needs a re-do and plan to blue the metal.
Nice caliber... its a strait forward process. Just make sure that the metal is clean and dry. Use a degreaser, and wear gloves. And don't allow the bluing agent to dwell for to long. Ohh, yes, oil it after its final application. Once you reached the desired appearance, rinsed and dried it, oil it. I applied two coats within a few hours. She looks amazing.

Best

Ryan

Fine looking rifle Sir! Good job. I wish mine was a flintlock. It yours a .54?
Enjoy it!
Thank you for the compliments! It's a 50 cal... I prefer flintlock over caplock, yet I am thinking of doing another kit in caplock. They are handsome, they feel right the Hawken rifles. Robust and hefty.

Best

Ryan

nice looking gun. what did you do the wood with? how?
Thank you for the complement! I used homer dangler stain, the color I chose is reddish brown. I used one cotton ball, and made passes with the full length with the grain. Once the entire stock was evenly covered I let dry for two hour, and touched up light spots with a tiny bit of stan applied to the area with a cotton ball. A little goes a very very long way. I used I think two balls with a application for each side. By application, I mean place the ball on the top of the bottle and turn up site down for a second. Shake the bottle well before use lol. I then finished off with seven coats of Tru-Oil. Scuffing in between coats with 0000 steel wool. Let dry for 3 hours at least.. apply the first coat with a paper towel, rub a thin coat on and wipe dry. All succeeding coats were applied by hand. The idea here is you do not want the first coat to dwell on the surface, as this will cause the wood to swell exposing grain. This is what happened my first time around, the finish was blotchy and waivy, so i elected to re finish the stock.. You want the first coat to seal the wood, then you can apply and allow to dry.

The stock that is provided with the Investarms Gremmer, is European walnut. It is a beautiful wood with much figure. The more coats and clearer the finish will reveal the figure most beautifully. However, with that being said, the wood must be sanded, and I am not a fan of sanding, as it dulls the edges.

Please feel free to ask questions... I will do my best to entertain.

Best

Ryan

Thank you for the complement! I used homer dangler stain, the color I chose is reddish brown. I used one cotton ball, and made passes with the full length with the grain. Once the entire stock was evenly covered I let dry for two hour, and touched up light spots with a tiny bit of stan applied to the area with a cotton ball. A little goes a very very long way. I used I think two balls with a application for each side. By application, I mean place the ball on the top of the bottle and turn up site down for a second. Shake the bottle well before use lol. I then finished off with seven coats of Tru-Oil. Scuffing in between coats with 0000 steel wool. Let dry for 3 hours at least.. apply the first coat with a paper towel, rub a thin coat on and wipe dry. All succeeding coats were applied by hand. The idea here is you do not want the first coat to dwell on the surface, as this will cause the wood to swell exposing grain. This is what happened my first time around, the finish was blotchy and waivy, so i elected to re finish the stock.. You want the first coat to seal the wood, then you can apply and allow to dry.

The stock that is provided with the Investarms Gremmer, is European walnut. It is a beautiful wood with much figure. The more coats and clearer the finish will reveal the figure most beautifully. However, with that being said, the wood must be sanded, and I am not a fan of sanding, as it dulls the edges.

Please feel free to ask questions... I will do my best to entertain.

Best

Ryan
I used the same stain on mine! It’s beautiful. I bought the regular walnut stain also, and it looks nice but the red pops on this one. I did basically the same as you except I applied a couple normal coats of tru oil first, then several hand rubbed, then a coat of renaissance wax. I also soaked in water first and sanded back the following day before I did anything else. Still haven’t shot mine yet! It’s a long drive to the range, plus the heat is ridiculous down here in Florida right now!

Back