• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Arizona Kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the compliments. The rifle is one I built from scratch in 1980. It had a 38" Douglas .45 barrel. I stocked it along the lines of a Leman trade rifle but not as a copy. It was a flintlock that I built for chunk shooting. I moved to Alaska right after building it and seldom shot it. 41 years later here I am in Southern Arizona getting back into serious muzzleloading and find that the rifle is way too muzzle heavy. I cut 8" off the barrel and converted it percussion while I had the barrel out of the stock. That turned it into a nice 8 1/2 pound hunting rifle with a more modern ignition system. (I hear the hooting from the flintlock crowd but I do shoot a Kibler a lot as well).

I was hunting in unit 35B west of Fort Huachuca (waa choo kuh). The side arm is a Model 13 S&W 357 that I've also had for 40 some years. You never know what you might run into this close to the border so I pack it for a little peace of mind. Probably should have taken it off for the photo. This morning I had biscuits and javelina sausage gravy. It was great!

A javelina I took yesterday evening with my .45 that I built in 1980. A 45 with 60 grains 3F is plenty for a 25 pound pig. As of this afternoon it's been converted to sausage. It was a fun hunt with some good friends. It was getting late when the photo was taken which may explain the red face. That or the 50 yd uphill drag!View attachment 123450
a drag will do it after 50+!!

Back