• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first .36 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I looked at an Italian .36 caliber Colt replica. It appears new and is in a beautiful wooden display box. Included are a flask, nipple wrench, and about a dozen round balls. I think I'll go back for it in the morning. The price is $250.
Yes, brass frame is not desirable. Not that they're trash or anything, just that a steel frame will outlast and have more re-same value.

Been lucky to find three .36 deals on here. To think last year I wanted one. Got an insane good deal from Billin Oregon on a Pieta steel frame with balls and holster. Then a gentleman in Fountain Hills had ANOTHER .36. a Ubertu 5 shot that I had to have (came with 7 boxes of balls and a few extra springs and nipples, this one an unfired Cimmeron with receipt). And I also scored a deal (nmho) from the guy (Dave?) who wanted to get a good memorial stone for his pop and sold me a WELL USED and in good shape .36 sheriff that promptly went to Mike for goonerization. Now I am stuck with deciding which of the full size ones to send to Mike next and of course I am pretty sure I will need a .44 sheriff before the years up. "At least it aint sports cars or younger women" (Ouch, that didn't work well). She found the Renegade🙄

Not a brass frame. View attachment 306034Oh yeah, I forgot to say the bullet (round ball) mold was included. I hope it's still there in the morning. I've been wanting a .36 and a .31 caliber revolver. I have several .44s.
I now have an actual pic of it. Yesterday I used someone else's pic and got called on it. Not by the person who's pic I used, but someone else objected.

This thread was sort of derailed by all the posts about brass frames. I’m not criticizing but I had to read through everything then realized that no one seems to have been curious about this gun like I am.

Is this photo indeed the gun that you bought for $250?! At first glance I thought that it was a Colt 2nd generation given the square trigger guard and what appears to be silver plated grip frame and trigger guard. But I don’t see the Colt logo on the frame. So Tom - can you tell us more about it? Does it have Italian proof marks? Other marks? What does the serial number look like? (I’m just a curious fella.)

If this is a Colt 2nd gen you stole it!

Yeah, one step closer to completing my revolver collection. Now to find a .31 pocket revolver and some Confederate guns.
I have the 1863 Remington pocket model that I recently purchased from muzzleloaders.com

I just looked out of curiosity about 24 hours ago and the brass frame one that I bought is out of stock but they do have the nickel plated brass frame in stock for 80 more dollars at $430

Try as I might I was unable to locate a steel frame in stock anywhere

trust me brass is trash for anything other than a wall hanger.
From what I understand through research and talking to 'Old Timers' who should have known, brass frame revolvers came about in the Confederacy from a shortage or lack of access to steel. don't know this to be a fact, but when a 100 something year old man, claiming to have served with the South, (this happened when I was very young) tells you this, you don't call him a liar unless you have absolute proof of the opposite. Can't say for sure, but the Confederacy seemed to have good (ok) luck with brass frames, but hen, they lost, so, go figure. Other than. lack of repair parts, the Confederate Colt I had was a good shooter, though I kept the loads light.

From what I understand through research and talking to 'Old Timers' who should have known, brass frame revolvers came about in the Confederacy from a shortage or lack of access to steel. don't know this to be a fact, but when a 100 something year old man, claiming to have served with the South, (this happened when I was very young) tells you this, you don't call him a liar unless you have absolute proof of the opposite. Can't say for sure, but the Confederacy seemed to have good (ok) luck with brass frames, but hen, they lost, so, go figure. Other than. lack of repair parts, the Confederate Colt I had was a good shooter, though I kept the loads light.
DA,
You are correct about lack of steel down south hence brass. Easy to find reputable sources.

This thread was sort of derailed by all the posts about brass frames. I’m not criticizing but I had to read through everything then realized that no one seems to have been curious about this gun like I am.

Is this photo indeed the gun that you bought for $250?! At first glance I thought that it was a Colt 2nd generation given the square trigger guard and what appears to be silver plated grip frame and trigger guard. But I don’t see the Colt logo on the frame. So Tom - can you tell us more about it? Does it have Italian proof marks? Other marks? What does the serial number look like? (I’m just a curious fella.)

If this is a Colt 2nd gen you stole it!
I have started another thread about brass frame revolvers. This gun IS NOT brass. One of my .44s is.
Some people will say brass frame guns are trash or wall hangers.
Yes the pic(s) I posted are the gun and accessories that I bought. Here are a few more, since you asked.
IMG_20240324_110228268_HDR~2.jpg

Bottom of barrel, pic above.
IMG_20240324_110137895_HDR~2.jpg

Top of barrel, pic above.
IMG_20240324_110203218_HDR~2.jpg

Serial #, pic above.
The bullet mold, pics below.
IMG_20240324_105946717_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240324_110007210_HDR~2.jpg

The nipple wrench, pic below.
IMG_20240324_110041136_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
they also probably didn't have enough spare ammo to shoot the things as much as I shoot mine and perhaps the originals are stronger than the replicas? Either way I have a 100% failure rate with 3 different brass frames. two 36 cal open tops and one .44 1858. If you are only going to shoot 500 rounds in the guns lifetime it likly doesn't matter but for myself thats only about a half a year if that. so yes from my perspective brass is trash. for someone who still has a partial box of balls from their original purchase 50 years ago then brass is just fine.

Yes the pic(s) I posted are the gun and accessories that I bought.

Maybe it’s just the reflections but the trigger guard and grip frame sure look to be silver or maybe nickel plated. Can you clarify? I have a couple of ASM pocket revolvers that have square trigger guards. All the Piettas and Ubertis I’ve seen have round trigger guards. Still a good deal on your purchase!

That's a deal. But what Nick said, the brass will stretch. Whatever you decide, hope it works out and you have a good time shooting her.
I noticer the ones who complain about brass stretching usually over charge the revolver. I have several and have no problem with any of them. And I fire them regularly.

I noticer the ones who complain about brass stretching usually over charge the revolver. I have several and have no problem with any of them. And I fire them regularly.
I wasn't complaining about anything. Just an observation that a friend of mine had with a brass frame revolver. Can't say for sure if he "overcharged" his or not, I know he shot it quite a bit. Glad to read yours are doing fine.

For what it's worth, I have three 36 caliber brass framed revolvers. All have been shot almost exclusively with full powered loads (meaning as much FFFg powder I can put into the chamber and still be able to seat a lead ball). As far as I can tell, all of them are still as tight as the day they left the factory.
20240328_160251.jpg

it depends on what you call regular shooting. have you hit 1k rounds yet? I shot nothing but real BP and RB in my .36 open top colts and they both fell apart. my current brass 1858 I have only fired 30g for one cylinder . my normal load is 25g of T7 and RB I will never buy another brasser. 3 strikes and your out.
only about 2 years old.
IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

Back