• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My african powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statetrooper62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Someone wrote on this forum that a horn must told a story. So let's go on....
Once upon a time, several months ago, I served in the french army as military policeman. It was somewhere in Africa. The country was quiet, war far away from my station, no political troubles, few french soldiers to watch. So no name to take, no ass to kick. A lot of time to kill.
One day, in a town near the soudani border, I was on duty. Nothing important to do. I drove my jeep PEUGEOT P4 behind the local slaughterhouse. A real dumping ground. Ponds of blood, heaps of raw hides, guts, bones, bones, skull and .... horns. Local people walking around to pick up something to eat, something to sell. Vultures flying in the sky. I don't speak about the smell.
So I walked in the middle of the heap of horns and picked up two or three which looked not too bad.
I had few tools for the job, a rasp and a file from the mechanic, my leatherman tool and some iron wool to clean pans. All I could do was a powder horn in the poor boy style, plain, simple, poor, with no carving.
I decided to try some scrimshaw, a dream which haunted me for a long time. With a chirurgical cutter that I borrowed to the SMASH I drawed some pictures that I colored with a blue permanent marker. I hadn't black one. After this operation, I scratched the horn with the iron wool, to clean pan, to erase the overflows of ink.
On the horn, I drawed pictures about my tour in this country, a map of the base where I served, my names, my military ranks, the dates of my stay in the country, a stork for my home place in France, a sparrowhawk for the name of the french army operation in the country, OPERATION EPERVIER, acronyms of the different units which served in this place and so on.....
You can see the picture of a donkey called IMAR. It wasn't a french military unit but the name of the mascot the local sultan offered as a gift to the base commander.
This powder horn was not a great one but I love it because it's a part of my life. Perhaps, one day in the future, my son will show this horn to his son and tell him about my "adventure" in Africa.
CIMG6140_zpsf54d4dd6.jpg

CIMG6139_zpsf14043ff.jpg

CIMG6138_zps431a4051.jpg

CIMG6137_zps1b627e2d.jpg

CIMG6136_zps34dbbf36.jpg

CIMG6135_zps059d78f3.jpg

CIMG6134_zps20a6a3c9.jpg

CIMG6133_zpsf94e5a57.jpg

The stopper was made with a local wood.

I like it,a horn with a history and record of service upon it.A true treasure to hand down in the family. :thumbsup:

I would call that excellent. :hatsoff:
Plus you upheld several historical traditions. Using material at hand to fill your spare time and keep your mind occupied during otherwise stressful times, creating a record of your place in history, recreating an ancient art form and more.
I applaud your resourcefullness and ingenuity.
If you are still there, please stay safe. :patriot:

That is definitely a very unique horn! The artwork has real meaning - it's a real treasure :)

rather than a marker you could have easily used some of the very dirt you were standing on! mix a bit of water and rub it in, it will fill the lines just as good as anything!

Good idea and perhaps with water and ashes from a wood fire to make a sort of ink, like ancient tattoo ?
Now I have a wood burning furnace at home, I will try it for my next scrimshaw.

no need! literally just rub some dirt in and it will work just as well! now don't let that stop you from doing anything you want I'm just offering up my own opinion. :thumbsup:

Back