• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txcookie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How this sound
2 inches high at 25 2 inch groups three rounds

deadon on at 50 3-4inchesh groups

5 inches low at 75 5ish inch groups

am I good to hunt?

load was 70grains of tipple seven ffg prb

Sounds like average groups from a rest with PRB with factory open sights to me. I'd be concerned that your ball is dropping 5 inches in just 25 yards from 50 - 75 yards though. That means you could be 12" low at 100 yards! I would think 70 grains would give you slightly better trajectory.

I wouldn't shoot over 75 yards on game with trajectory like that without tons of practice on where to hold at what ranges.

What kind of rifle are you shooting and caliber? Have you tried blackpowder instead of a substitute? I think I would spend some more time shooting from a bagged rest. There is a lot to take into consideration like powder, patch/ lube and ball combination, point of aim/ impact and such.

No, you're not good to hunt. You need more experience with that muzzleloader, including solving why you're getting a 5" drop from 50 to 75 yards distance. You will wound animals, and possibly lose them.

More info is needed from you for us to solve your problem(s): Caliber, ball & patch size, POA vs. POI, barrel length, etc.

Ideally, your shot should only drop an inch or two as it travels from 50 to 75 yards. A tighter patch, more powder, or both might be called for.

Dave

2 inches high at 25 2 inch groups three rounds

deadon on at 50 3-4inchesh groups

5 inches low at 75 5ish inch groups

am I good to hunt?

Nope!

Those trajectory figures are out of whack. :shocked2: With any ml loaded as yours that is hitting two inches high at 25 and then hitting low at 50, there is something going on that's not quite right. :confused:

That type of sight in at 25 would typically result in hitting four or five inches high at 50 and then dropping in just above dead on at 100.

The only gun related thing I can think of that would cause that would be a bore drilled off center to the barrel and ending up mounted with the bore hole high at the breecha and centered at the muzzle. That could cause the ball to shoot down in relation to a dead center bore line (I think :confused: ) Help me out here guys :)

2" high at 25 should not drop back over the line of sight until 100 yds. I think your muzzle velocity is way low possibly because of ignition issues with the T7. Try it with real black powder. Shoot over a chrony if you have or can borrow one.

50 with a 1-66 using pillow tickering thats been pre cut to about the size of a qtr. I aint gonna lie I was having fits aiming the thing at 75 so the low shots may have been me target was for scoped rifles with inches sqared out and the bullseye was basically a single black sqare. I was aiming with the tip of the front sight directly inbetween the rear sight. I used this exact same load on a good hog a couple yrs back and it blew thru him like butter.

Man I am big into modern archery which can get finicky but I had no idea that trad rifles would be complicated????

From what I've heard with archery, you limit your shots to what you can consistently put into the kill zone. With your ML, you should be good to 50 yds.
Change it from complicated to fun. Run a lot of rounds through the barrel, systematically trying variations of patch & powder until you and your rifle are comfortable.
My peepers have a bit more mileage than yours, but 50 yds. is about all I'm comfortable with using open sights.

bramble

It is really LESS complicated than modern archery!

You haven't provided much info (dia of RB? Thickness of patch? Lube? Type of sights, etc). Best guess at this time is sight problems. Loose sight or you have a bead front sight and cannot get a consistent sight picture, or . . . . What makes me guess a sight problem? A decent shooting smoothbore with no rear sight should shoot one hole at 25 yards from the bench.

Just like string guns, if you can't see it you can't shoot with it.
TC

Sight picture makes sense. In archery without using the same sight picture your accuracy goes to manure. Start grouping high then low or left then right or just everywere. Since I can hit a snuff can at 50 yards I feel comfy shooting that distance with the ML.I intend to get ALOT more range time in though!

I think its a user error that will fix with time. Bet any of you could just pick up my rifle and pop tree rats at 70 yards all day :bow: . Can you guys beleive that Gander mountain and acadamy both had no #11 primers???? Acadamy told me they dont even sell them anymore!

I agree with everybody. I'd never go hunting with your load.

Get rid of the inlxxx powder and use real BP.

As was said. What gun, bullet/ball, patch, cap etc.

Sight it for 100 yds and 25,50, and 75 will be in the kill zone. (with a good load)

txcookie said:
50 with a 1-66 using pillow tickering thats been pre cut to about the size of a qtr. I aint gonna lie I was having fits aiming the thing at 75 so the low shots may have been me target was for scoped rifles with inches sqared out and the bullseye was basically a single black sqare. I was aiming with the tip of the front sight directly inbetween the rear sight. I used this exact same load on a good hog a couple yrs back and it blew thru him like butter.

Man I am big into modern archery which can get finicky but I had no idea that trad rifles would be complicated????

Now I have a little bit of info to help you. As others have said, you have an aiming problem or a loose sight. After checking the rear sight for looseness, try sighting the gun in at 25 yards till 5 shots goes through the same ragged hole. Then bring it back to 50 yards, using the same exact sight picture you did at 25 yards, and note the location of the group. If you're going to hunt with the rifle, sight it in at 50 yards, on a bench, producing as close a group as you can.

Now you're about set! At 50 it's dead-on, at 25 if it's an inch high it won't matter for deer, and at 75 (your longest shot attempted to harvest an animal) it should only drop a couple inches, and you're still hitting the deer in "the boiler room" for a clean kill. Adjust your charge to obtain the best accuracy with a flatter trajectory than you first reported, and you're basically good-to-go! Lots of folks here are using between 70-90 grains of 3Fg Goex in their .50's to obtain these results. Either use regular black powder or adjust your loads accordingly using triple 7.

Good luck, and let us know of your progress.

Dave
NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle

Well went back again today and guess what! Shot like a champ drilled the 75 yard shots and the 50 yard shots with no noticable drop! Looks like it was all me but after a couple range trips I have found my sight pic with this rifle and can hit a snuff can 2 out of three shots at 75! My free hand is pie plate 5 out of 5 at 50! Now its time to put down some meat! Hitting the woods first thing in the AM! Wish me luck I need some venison

Latest posts

Back