• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Schuetzen rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemwinder

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm building a BP Schuetzen style rifle. Are there any builders interested in this type of rifle?
RLH

Yes, I built a Schuetzen and posted in the Photo Forum area the following link:

Schuetzen Post

As the post says, I got the "kit" from Pecatonica River and it is a .40 caliber.
The barrel was built by someone who lives in Florida but I forgot his name. Whoever he is, he did one superb job of it.
It is a 1:18 twist with very shallow grooves which I am sure were made for paper patching.

Sights didn't come with the "kit" and I wanted to maintain a traditional style, so I used a Swiss Diopter rear sight (Dixie Gunworks) and a tall Lyman style Globe Sight in front. (Dixie Gunworks used to have them).

I wanted to shoot paper patched slugs I found that a place called Montana Precision Swaging (406) 782-7602 sells just what it likes even though they cost .25 each.

To read more about Paper Patching, follow this link:

PAPER PATCHING

In addition to building the case for the rifle, I also built a block to rest the gun on while loading.
This consistes of a soft carpet covered 4X4 on a base and is needed to keep the long tang on the butt plate off of the ground.

I'm sure you will enjoy building and shooting your gun as much as I did. ::

Back