• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading pistol (Great Britian?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorren

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey Guy's,
I need some help to identifying this muzzleloading pistol. I'm not quite sure whether it's an original or not.

Actually i don't think it's original, but anyway I wanne know what kind of pistol it is.

There is a crown and "G R" (for Georgius Rex?) on the right side.

And "JAPAN 374" on the barrel.

Thanks and lots of greetings from Germany - Berlin,
Sören :thumbsup:

Pics:

ps.: Sry, for my bad english :bow:

It is a Jap copy of an English Tower pistol. (as in Made at the Tower of London) Alot came into USA in the 1960 prior to the US bi-centinial. Some people report they are very good. Some not so.....depends on who made it.

P

Looks like the Tower flint pistol made in Japan for Ultra-Hi and probably others. Quality at best was so-so and at worst was pretty awful.

Hey great,
your the first who knows something about this pistol, thanks! :hatsoff: .

Do you have a link or something where i can read about it?

No, sorry. that is all I know. My brother -in-law had one. I never saw him shoot it, but it looked to be OK quility. I believe they are fairly common

I worked in a Sporting Goods store that sold those back in 1973. We sold them from two different suppliers. Ultra Hi and I think, Century Arms. A third supplier sold nearly identical items that were non-shooters with the touch hole not drilled out. I believe that some were made by Miroku, a fairly respectable manufacturer. Others were knock offs and of very dubious quality. Some of the ones sold as shooters had soft frizzens and would not spark. The stocks of some looked like pine, very soft with a cheap stain and no other finish. From the phot I can't tell which it may be, they pretty much all looked alike.

It's actually a bad copy of an English Light dragoon pistol from about 1805 on, the reason
I say bad copy is the octagon barrel I have
converted a few of the Japanese copies with
round barrel to better working guns by removing
the ramrod & pipe adding a single pipe and wood
rammer, and replacing cock and internals & hardening the frizzen, for a more correct look
for the 1770's.

Back