• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader phrases out of context

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I just bought one from cut fingers a lil while back. I had to go do a Job in Tennessee, as I was walking out the door I told my wife, "Hey babe, don't forget my ball bag, it should be at the post office today". She replied, "I hope you are taking it with you". ;)

RM
I told my Mrs I wanted a ball bag for Christmas. All she said was "Why, you have an accident with yours?"

Years ago when I was training to be a firearms instructor, the Instructor told us that "flash in the pan" meant the rifle had blown up in the shooters face. No amount of reasonable discussion would change his mind. This same instructor claimed that anyone who said they could shoot smaller than a 9" group at over 25' with a ML rifle was full of lies. (One of the reasons I became an Instructor, to fight the massive misinformation being taught as fact.)

Ball puller. Nipple pick. Tompion. Had a fella at a reenactment look a bit confused, wondering why I used a tampon to stopper up my P53 Enfield

Years ago when I was training to be a firearms instructor, the Instructor told us that "flash in the pan" meant the rifle had blown up in the shooters face. No amount of reasonable discussion would change his mind. This same instructor claimed that anyone who said they could shoot smaller than a 9" group at over 25' with a ML rifle was full of lies. (One of the reasons I became an Instructor, to fight the massive misinformation being taught as fact.)
Just because you have a whistle, a badge or a little authority doesn't mean you are bright.

The thing I like about this game is you can talk about so many things that would upset "flat landers": Cocks, nipples , flashes, ramrods, half cocked, dry balls,spit, dumping your load, hair triggers, etc. All in a non shocking - just informative way . So many flat landers are uptight about being politically correct that they always assume other people are trying to upset you.

Too many people today use the following phrases out of context with absolutely no idea as to their true origins and meanings:

"going off half-cocked"

"like a flash in the pan"

"loaded for bear"

"shooting your wad"

"lock, stock and barrel"

Sadly, that seems to be what passes for a modern education gets you these days... seemingly public schools these days only 'teach' enough for pupils to pass state-mandated testing to ultimately achieve more taxpayer funding, all the while indoctrinating unwitting and unthinking entitled students with contemporary propaganda... too many parents send their offspring to public schools merely for 'daycare' and for free meal handouts (which should not be the school's function!) and to receive their participation awards for doing nothing!
These are all familiar with us of the Older Persuasion!

I’ve only used the fresh ones for char….
The others make fine bear bait!……😎
that is true. I have a friend that is a MAINE GIDE and them along with stale jelly doughnuts, are used to bait BEAR into a set.

Latest posts

Back