• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moving to Oz

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am moving to Australia with my family this year. I have a modest collection of muzzleloaders made for me from kits by my late father.

A first pass, it appears to me importing muzzleloaders to Australia is tough, although a different process from conventional firearms. I am looking for guidance from folks in Australia with experience working such imports.

Thanks for reading my post.

I am moving to Australia with my family this year. I have a modest collection of muzzleloaders made for me from kits by my late father.

A first pass, it appears to me importing muzzleloaders to Australia is tough, although a different process from conventional firearms. I am looking for guidance from folks in Australia with experience working such imports.

Thanks for reading my post.
Hi Harry,, which state or territory are you moving to? This can help us locals give you some assistance.

Each State in late years seem to vie with each other in dreaming up negative anti gun laws . Not that consistent just political bumph not much thought or logic just the same cobblers you put up with in UK the' Seen to be doing something' rot NZ was relatively free re MLs but the loony left last shower poseing as a government brought in a raft of useless anti gun poop . shooters made scapegoat for gross Police failure in Granting a Loony Terrorist a license with out proper vetting breaking their own laws but big cover up .Stinks but new Govt expected to reverse such gross injustice so watch this space . Good luck'
Rudyard

Hi Harry
As a general rule the manufacture date determines the licensing requirement. Kit-built or replica, think Pedersoli, are treated as normal firearms, with handguns being almost impossible to import unless you can prove thematic or heirloom importance. Happy to advise further if moving to WA, I have imported/exported dozens of firearms into and out of WA.

Cheers

Mike

I landed in WA I had overlanded from UK to Ceylon in 1966 had 3 quid to my name but made out at Dampier now much developed iron ore region. I know Australia very well Ide avoid WA allways been a police state if now a days there' All 'anti gun . I was happiest in inland towns like Echuca Vic nice river boat town avoided big citys like Sydney or Melbourne better Adelaide or maybe Brisbane as a better bet if you persist in a big city . But I settled accros the Ditch in small village surrounded by Mountains full of Deer & Wild pigs ect NZ & you can hunt with MLs or bows if you fancy . I used to go for a week minimum till I married . But Aust has its hunting too .It reminds me of a book by Bernard Hessling ' The Dinkumisation & De pommyfication of an Art full English Migrant' be a bit dated but an amusing account .( Must be its 68 years since I read it !) The book that grabbed my interst in NZ was Barry Crumps "A good keen man" .he was a NZ Forest Service Deer Culler they still have them .
Regards Rudyard P M me if you want

Back