• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain pistol fun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25 yards with the CVA Mountain Pistol 54cal. I used a cut down 1:48 cva hawken barrel. A little over 6 inches. 30gr 3fg Gearhart-owen 3fg, .020 spit patch, .530 round balls.

Super happy!

3 shot and 10 shot group.

Time to adjust sights.

I did virtually the same thing with a Douglas rifle barrel in .54 cal with a pitch of 1-60 and it will hold good groups to the 50 yards bench tested with patched balls. Balls don't need much spin to stabilize them I have found. It shoots well with 50 grains of 2F Goex and a .530-.535 ball.
I milled the side flats down on the barrel a bit to give the pistol a more narrow profile and the whole gun is made of spare parts found around my shop. I also made a ghost ring rear peep that works great.
The trigger guard and front cap were milled from solid brass and the trigger is made of O-1 tool steel. The trigger guard , lower tang and loading rod pipe are of brass stock and are pinned together at the front of the guard with the loading rod pipe fit and bedded to the stock bottom.
The lock was a small rifle I had in the parts pile. The bolster was turned of tool steel , indexed and threaded for the nipple. I also put in one of those "worthless" clean out screws I happen to love !
The rear sight is a production modified to ghost ring and the front blade was milled of bar stock.
The stock was a walnut board I picked up at a garage sale.
The barrel is 9 inches if memory serves me correctly.
Never did get around to making a holster for the ole girl though.
Oh, note the grain run in the pistol grip. I drilled a hole from the butt to the tang and glass bedded a piece of all thread in there to reinforce against stock fracture.
The under rib is attached with screws along with the Ferrel.
The grip could stand a checkering job !
The finish is True oil and Laurel Mtn. Forge. Click on to enlarge.

Attachments

• IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG