• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kentucky pistol twist rate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon8777

32 Cal
Reaction score
What is the accurate range on twist rates on a 50 cal 10" kentucky pistol?

With the lack of 1:20 twist barrels can you cut a 1:48 down to 10" and still have accurate pbr shots at 25-30 yards?

What is the accurate range on twist rates on a 50 cal 10" kentucky pistol?

With the lack of 1:20 twist barrels can you cut a 1:48 down to 10" and still have accurate pbr shots at 25-30 yards?
Yes you can as a patched ball requires very little twist to stabilize. I made a horse pistol with a nine inch barrel from a one in sixty pitch rifle barrel in .54 cal that is very accurate to the fifty yards tested.

I read somewhere that the standard for single shot pistols back in the day was 1/4 turn for the length of the barrel. So a 1:48 cut down would be close to that.

That is what I was figuring, I didn't want to hack a rifle barrel and find out there is an issue.

I have shot large bore rifle calibers from pistols with similar twists and have no noticeable accuracy issues out to 200 yards.

Latest posts

Back