• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortar Build in Progress

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skratch

32 Cal
Reaction score
Got most of the parts finished except the elevation mech. This is just a mock up, waiting on the mold to arrive before finish.Couple more golf ball mortars I've made. All have a slap hammer using 209 shotgun
shell primers or can use fuse. The two holes in rear of base are for balls when used for display.

I should add these have a solid steel breach, bored for powder chamber and joined by machining
to the tube. The breach plus the tube have a combined wall thickness of at least 3/8 ". The powder
chamber is for 50 gr. of 4F. Much stronger than a .69 caliber musket. Just to assure they are not
potential pipe bombs. ;)

IMG_20211123_211143.jpgIMG_20210104_195339.jpgIMG_20210104_195445.jpg

Last edited:
Well, got it finished, all painted even with period correct embellishments. Was going to post video
of firing it but with 120 views and no comments, not even one lousy like figured " why ? ".

Your right, to build a project, show it and not even get a reply is a disappointment. You differently have good mechanic skills and design ability. But your project may fall short of the "Historic Design" which is a requirement that is desired. Now that is only an opinion, and everybody can feel differently for sure. So let's finish your post up by seeing your results in the Firing Video. I would like to see it, and come back with a more Historic Project next time, you have the skills.

This is a historic version, though maybe not what some members may be aware of. The carriage and wheels from the Civil War ships design. A little google research would show those
not familiar with the design would find American historical pieces based on the same design as mine which
the Spanish even copied. I did the research, thus the design I settled on.
At any rate there will be no more posts on this build or any other. I appreciate your opinion but it's just that.
Do diligent research, you will find a Civil War era piece that closely resembles mine with the exception
of the firing method, the image is there.

Back