• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MOREL MUSHROOMS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them with eggs. Though I found some the other day and fried some in an iron skillet with some venison steaks. That was good! Then the wife fixed some more in spaghetti and that was good also!

I did not know they grew out Neb. way. I thought they were more of an eastern thing NY,NC, Alabama
Ill. In. so forth. :confused:

redwing said:
I did not know they grew out Neb. way. I thought they were more of an eastern thing NY,NC, Alabama
Ill. In. so forth. :confused:
Morels grow in just about every area of the country!...Here in Nebraska it's almost an institution this time of year.

The banks and woodlands of the Missouri, Platte, Republican, Loup and other waterways usually are the best locations to find 'em!

We even have people using GPS to mark previously hot area's for future hunts!...It gets a little crazy! :youcrazy:

horner75 said:
Ill. In. so forth.
They are where you find them IMO!
snake-eyes :hmm:

I'm envious of ya'll - up here in the mountains morels are really scarce. but I love 'em man they are good fried up with small venison cutlets and golden 'taters.

They are just starting to come up around here. Found about 2 dozen or so in the last couple of days. We like them in scrambled eggs and bacon with rye toast on the side...YUM!

On aside note: The dang ticks are out too and are one of the hazards of the hunt.

Don't have any copperheads in this neck of the fruited plains, but one has to look out for Ticks and an occasional "Swamp Thing" along the river bottoms!... :shocked2:

Oh I surely do. I usually have my walking stick with me for snakes...got to start remembering the Deet for the danged ticks and chiggers now too. :cursing:

Were just starten to get into them here in Iowa.Found 4 gallons of gray and yellow mix today.We dip in eggs and then flour and fry in butter.Stuffed my belly full at supper tonight.

Just getting ready to head out for the day and see if I can find a few. We leave Wed. night for Cadilac area for four days of Morels and Trout. Sounds like its going to be a good year for them.

It's true they go great with trout, but my favorite is with venison steaks and asparagus, all fried lightly in olive oil. :) graybeard

Well after all this talk,I called an old friend
middle of last week,big time hunter.With a little
pushing got to go out Sat with him. Got to his woods and he sent me off in a direction that I may
locate some,and he went another way.
About 2 hours later we met up.I had 18 in my
brown bag,and was tiggled to death.He had 63 and
was not satisfied.Go figure! He gave me 2 of his so I had an even 20.They are in the frig till
I make up a rescipe.
snake-eyes

Walked around yesterday and found about 6 of the bigger yellowish ones out back by the dead elm...grilled sirloin and sauteed mushrooms in butter was the supper last night... :grin:

Back