• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More to learn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTShooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for any stupid questions.

A Beretta 12 ga muzzleloader followed me home today and stupid owner needs to learn care and feeding.

My primary goal is turkey season in 5 weeks, followed by patched round balls because it just sounds fun.

I have messed a little with a CVA 12ga, and get the powder/card/wad/shot/card or what procedure you end up with. I just don't have much experience with the whole thing.

I have #6 shot and FF Goex

Thanks

are the barrels chocked. as far as round ball, mic the barrel bores. and start at that point. the ball should be 15 to 20 th. smaller and a patch. for shot loads start with the one you already use. pattern it a at least 30 yards away. its all a mater of trial and error.

Great information
Thank you
Bores measure .718, not sure about chokes, don't think so?

If your Beretta shotgun is the over - under, you won't have much of a problem with the top barrel. You have to keep the flash channel to the lower barrel clear for the lower barrel to perform well.

These were good shooting guns but that long flash channel was a chronic problem.

You need to go to the range and experiment. My TC worked well with 85-120gr ffg and equal volumes of shot. My preference is larger than #6 shot (#4 or #5), but use a pair of 10ga or 12ga Wonder wads OVER the powder and a thin card wad over the shot. Too thick/heavy wad between the powder and shot will yield donut holes in patterns.

Been years but I found differently. Due to being new at it with no forum known and no other addicts to consult I loaded my pedersoli with the wads/ cards backwards and it shot best that way. When I learned my error and switched back the pattern was terrible. So for that gun anyway I always dumped powder, a over shot card, shot and an over powder wad and was great.

Ok, just got home, that was too much fun to have with clothes on.

I messed around with a few different things, and I need to tighten the pattern just a little bit, but the gun worked great( as long as the dummy pulling trigger actually put the cap on the loaded barrel)
75gr FF Goex , same #6 shot in a brown paper shot cup, same load I started with before, skeets on the pattern board turned to dust at 30 yards every time.

I need some ball and I want a flint 20ga smooth bore too.

30 yards is pretty good with a cylinder bore, skeet choked, or Improved Cylinder choked barrel.

I'd suggest the steel can test if you like your pattern. Take an empty steel can, like a tuna can, and put it down range at 30 yards, and shoot at it and see if your projectiles punch through or not. If half or more that hit do not punch through, you either need to add 10 grains of powder to your load, OR use larger shot.

LD

Thanks for the tip, I will try it.

My first day with the gun, so I was more just figuring out how it all worked, you know like actually capping and firing the barrel that I actually loaded.

Like my rifle, this is all pretty new to me, so I don't mind taking my time and learning it. And if I keep making big clouds of white smoke on the range, I might attract others that want to try it out. Shooting alone all the time sort of sucks.

Thank you for the article, more good information.

I use a square of crumpled newspaper at the bottom of my shot cups. I like the corn muffin mix idea, sounds tasty :)

I have the same gun and shoot Skeet with it a couple of times a month.
-There are no chokes. Use 12 gauge wads, 11 gauge wads are too tight.
-Bottom barrel flash channel can be a problem if there's any oil in it. Snap a couple of caps on each barrel before you load.
-I don't use any shot cups...powder/.125" wad/shot/.025" wad. I get very uniform (but wide) patterns from both barrels. Works great for Skeet...not ideal for Trap.
-I've tried buffers (Corn meal, etc...) and doesn't make enough difference in the pattern to bother. Some guns may benefit from it but my Beretta does not.
- Shot cups tighten the patterns up a bit. The brown paper "Stumpkiller" cups work as well as modern ones and don't leave any plastic residue behind.
-If you're going to shoot it a bunch, (like a round or two of Skeet) get a spray bottle and fill it with a mix of 50/50 Castor oil and Alcohol. After you drop the shot, spray a little in each barrel then seat the over-shot card. Keeps the barrels clean after each shot.
Most importantly, it's a fun gun to own. Get out there and shoot it!

My wads and cards will be here tomorrow.

Get to play all weekend.

What are "Stumpkiller" paper shot cups?

I just roll up brown paper and fold the ends over, makes nice confetti.

Was out working on patterns yesterday. First 2 shots, I thought I had hit the holy grail.
So much for the grail.
Shot column for 1 and 2, 80gr. Goex FFg, .125 nitro card, 1/4" wool wad, "Stumpkiller" shot cup, 1 1/4 oz #6, 1/4"lubed wool wad, thin over shot card. 20 yard pattern was great.

3rd shot, slug
4th shot, removed shot cup, everything else the same. Slug?

Tried a couple of different things after that and it was just worse.

Thinking it through last night, the only thing I can come up with is a bore fouling issue?

Back