• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More fun with Pritchett cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update. I made up a simple wooden plate with correctly sized holes, to help scrap off the extra lube off the freshly lubed cartridges, which also makes the lube more consistent around the cartridge. That seemed to do the trick. I tried the "sized" cartridges in a friend's Parker Hale P53 and they loaded with no problem. Have not tied them in the musketoon yet, but might try in the next few weeks.

I'm enjoying this thread. I've got a P-H 1853 and 1861 musketoon. I've shot Brett's cartridges and Minies. Now I'm going down the path of casting my own bullets and making cartridges, both the 1862 US and the 1860 (.550 and clay plug) Pritchett types. I'll report back on how it's going soon.

If anyone is interested, NOE bullet molds has a few of the plug molds for the .550 Pritchett bullets. I just scored two of them, they don't stay in stock for very long.

Here is a video I found about making the clay plugs with the NOE plug mould:

clay plugs

Last edited:
Not for the thickness of the lube dip build-up, but what diameter are yall going for on the paper wrap?
How much windage between the outer diameter of the paper wrap and the bore before adding the lube?

Ya with Goex under transition/modernization. Hopefully it comes back soon. I've been using Schutzen and Swiss. I know the standard service charge was about 68 grains (2 1/2 drams) of musket powder which is close to 1.5 to 2 FF, but that would be one hell of a wallop in a musketoon. I was thinking 60 grains of 2 FF and working a load from there.

It is my understanding that the Musketoon charge was 60gr, in deference to the 'wallop' you've mentioned.

Once tried, never forgotten...

If anyone is interested, NOE bullet molds has a few of the plug molds for the .550 Pritchett bullets. I just scored two of them, they don't stay in stock for very long.

Here is a video I found about making the clay plugs with the NOE plug mould:

clay plugs

The nigh-on $300 cost is the crippler for me, as in the cost of importing some of Brett's Pritchett cartridges [empty, of course].

The nigh-on $300 cost is the crippler for me, as in the cost of importing some of Brett's Pritchett cartridges [empty, of course].
Cost is relative. I don't make my own cartridges to save money. I think casting bullets, making paper cartridges and such is fun. One reason why I go with the 1855 pattern for US Expanding Ball cartridges instead of the 1860 pattern is the added involvement of making the powder cylinders. It amuses me.

If I am shooting for score or long distance, I use Brett's swaged .550 bullets for the much better consistency.

The stuff I make on my own is for banging steel plates and breaking clay flower pots in my back yard at 100 meters or less.

Keep Brett in your thoughts, he is going on deployment this month and doesn't expect to be back in the States until mid 2024.

Cost is relative. I don't make my own cartridges to save money. I think casting bullets, making paper cartridges and such is fun. One reason why I go with the 1855 pattern for US Expanding Ball cartridges instead of the 1860 pattern is the added involvement of making the powder cylinders. It amuses me.

If I am shooting for score or long distance, I use Brett's swaged .550 bullets for the much better consistency.

The stuff I make on my own is for banging steel plates and breaking clay flower pots in my back yard at 100 meters or less.

Keep Brett in your thoughts, he is going on deployment this month and doesn't expect to be back in the States until mid 2024.

Cost is relative to me, too. I cast everything I shoot that is BP, including for three unmentionables - old, but still unmentionable. I shoot Minié bullets in my original Pritchett rifle of 1858, BTW.

Does anyone swage their own .550 bullets? Brett swages his own, but he is on deployment. I'm considering buying the equipment to swage bullets for my own use. Any advice someone who has gone down this path can give would be very much appreciated.

Does anyone swage their own .550 bullets? Brett swages his own, but he is on deployment. I'm considering buying the equipment to swage bullets for my own use. Any advice someone who has gone down this path can give would be very much appreciated.

Dave Corbin is the man to talk to. And then, your bank manager.

Latest posts

Back