• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

REAL Bullets in P-H Musketoon range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20210903_115231.jpg

I have a bunch of .58 REALS that were given to me by a forum member 2 years ago, EnfieldShooter I think is his name? Is he still active ? I finally got around to shooting them and wanted to thank him. I figured I'd try them in my Parker-Hale Musketoon

20210903_140006.jpg

I sized some to .577, that was a no-go because they were so loose in the bore that the ramrod stuck to the lube and brought them back out of the bore , no good at all . They weren't too accurate either. I rolled up 20 cartridges, guess I'll save the rest for a rifle with a tighter bore, this Musketoon measures about .581.

20210903_120831.jpg

I left most of the REALs as cast, they required a Short Starter and varying degrees of force with a range rod but I still fired 10 or so without having to wipe the bore. The felt wads with Wonderlube kept fouling soft. I didn't fire any without them so I don't know if they improved accuracy.

Fired at 80 yards from a Standing position, using the hasty sling method to stabilize the rifle, produced a decent cluster. From past outings with my Musketoons I have found I have a little more difficulty grouping with them, until I settle in and Iron out "pushing" the trigger pull and adjust to the short sight radius which is far less forgiving of movement while aiming.

At 80 yards I had to aim at the "belt line" of this 50% sized B27 silhouette, and also use a Quarter Sight picture with the blade just visible in the notch. Shoots very high with the REALs.

Honestly, I'll take this group at 80 yards from standing , I'll take it all day every day. I know I'm not out here putting up Dr. Nemeth caliber groups, I just am happy to see bullets hitting in roughly the same area and achieve usable "combat accuracy "

Truth be told if I can somewhat match this accuracy with a .577 Minie rolled into cartridges , I'd have no reason to use REALs in this rifle since the added steps of short starting , using a wad, and having to sometimes "jab" the bullet to the powder with a range rod isn't worth it vs Minies that glide down the pipe. My 3-Band P-H P53 will likely love the REAL bullets .

Overall you really can't beat the Parker-Hale Musketoons for just pure range fun. They handle so nice, point naturally, are easy to load and the Birmingham produced rifles just exude quality and good fitting. I love the look and balance of a 3-Bander but there is no advantage to them for shooting at 1-200 yards. The Musketoons can handle the ranges I normally shoot at and then some.

Attachments

• 20210903_115326.jpg
    20210903_115326.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 32
They're the perfect all arounder rifle , the 1-48 Twist makes them good with solid base bullets or Minies .

I wish I could put up a Ragged hole at 100 with mine :) maybe some day

I like how they come right to your shoulder and point naturally , also they're a lot easier to load vs a 3 Bander. I haven't found a combo that shoots bad in mine, from round balls, to maxi balls, Minies, etc.

Also a lot handier to put in the car to take shooting, and easier to clean.

Latest posts

Back