• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

monstrosity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulnfld

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is probably a sacrilege, but I want to practice before I spend a large sum of money on a kit.

I have a modern 12 gauge, single shot crack barrel.

I have worked as a gun smith for Loyalist Arms.

I am planning on making/building a matchlock from scratch using the barrel from said 12 gauge, tapping it and fitting it with a custon breech plug.

I am confident in my skills, just really poor.

I am thinking this is safe, better steel in the barrel. (Less pressure from BP than modern smokless)

What am I missing? If anything.

Thanks
Paul

in your post you say you have a modern 12 guage crack barrel. Are you saying that the barrell is an exceptionally good one or that it has a crack in it?

I have a flintlock 12 guage that I built on a modern barrell and have found it to be very strong so I don't think that you will have any trouble but if the barrell is "cracked" don't use it.

I think he means a 'break barrel' or 'break action' type of action, ie- NEF/H-R.

If your talking about a break action, all you have to do is walk into any "Mart or Big Box store" and look at all the inlines on the rack.
Most are break action so it would work.
But if you really want a traditional sidelock?
You can get a CVA Bobcat for $59.00(US) while it has a plastic stock it would make a good pattern if you wanted to get a board and inlet the parts to fit. Probably be cheaper than wht you would spend on that old 12 ga?

I have some experience as a metal-fabricator and machinist and say the barrel will do well, but if it is a good gun (probably choked also unless cylinder bore) why not save it and buy a length of cold-drawn steel tubing. 1020 grade would do well - just check for a straight piece, should be available from metal supply or through a machine/fab shop. then tap for breech plug, attach neccesary mountings and sights and drill the flash hole (matchlock right?) good low-buck project, keep posted how it turns out.

Yes, break action, good barrel,

the gun is free, I've had it in my closet for years, and I am much more interested in using the barrel for a bp gun than ever using it as it.

So I'm just practicing, for fun

I keep hearin folks say $59 for a Bobcat. I have looked hi and lo and I cannot find any for that price. Where are ya gettin them? I would get one for the grandkids if I could find one for that price. Wallyworld dont have them in the stores or on their website, and the cheapest I can find one is $100.

Bill

I've looked also...
I am pretty sure it is a few select stores that are clearing them out.
WallyWorld works in weird ways!

Brett

Be sure you take the chamber into account. Either shorten the barrel to in front of the chamber or cut it so the breech plug fills the space that was the chamber.

Well, I got a whole side of the safe full a what I built. That is what I use. But, when ya got a 12 year old grand kid, it dont make sense to go spend a thousand bucks on an ego gun shen ya dont know if the kid is gonna pan out or not, eh? $59 is a much better risk for the short run.

Or turn a snug fitting slug to fit the chamber and TIG weld it in, and you can drill/tap for breech plug. A peice of seamless gas pipe would do, probably 1/2" ID, then tap it for the breech.

Once the chamber will be cut off , you will end with a
very short barrel .

You will need a breech plug of the right size , or a lathe to make
a new one . If you take a pice of a bolt to make a breech plug
( I do it ) you will still need large size ( read : expensive )
taps , standard an bottoming ( more expnsive )

Before you can tap , you will have to ream using a reamer
( more $$$ ) or a lathe .

This will be a very expensive coach gun .

If you take a 20 ga barrel , ( 5/8" bore ) everything become
much easier , take your tap list and do the math.

Finally , if you take 2 barrels , cut the chamber and choke
of both , cut into a V shape joint , as suggested by
Kit Ravenshear in his booklet weld everything .....
finish the joint with a grinder .

If I can do it , I guess everybody can

Paul, I am in the same situation as you. I have built several BP guns that were fabricated from this and that, and all were operable and safe. Take your time and think it out and you will probably be o.k. I built a .30 cal pistol once from an old Remington rifle barrel, and caught heck from all the "experts" as to why it would not work. That was before I discovered this forum ,by the way. The pistol worked well mechanically, but the only problem, which none of the pessimists had brought up was that the rifling had too fast of a twist. It shot well with patch and lead shot. Sometimes you have to investigate some things on your own and close out the non-believers. From one poor boy to another, have fun, but be careful. :grin:

I just happen to have such a barrel , already breached ,
from a '03 Springfied , waiting on the shelf to become a small
wheellock carbine someday and have been wondering about the
rate of twist . So, what about the twist ?

If my memory serves me correctly it will be a one in 12" or one in "14" twist... Warren

Latest posts

Back