• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modifying custom LH flint lock for Lyman Deerstalker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am starting to research if it is possible to use DIY modified LH lock on a Lyman Deerstalker. RPL locks are not available for a lefty. Is it feasible to take a custom LH lock and modify the plate and any mechanisms to fit the Lyman? The Chambers builder rectangular lock seems to be a possibility. Would it be possible to get an education on what would be required, please?

This rifle is my only muzzleloader so upgrading it meets my needs the best. It shoots ok but I want to drink from the jug of fine tuned custom locks many here talk about. Ideally a tuned or new trigger would also be nice.

The rifle is a .54 and destined to be a PRB range fun gun and canyon steel whacker in the 50-70 grain FFFG load range. My hunting days are over.

I would reach out to and contact Jim Chambers to comment! Measure from the center of the tumbler hole to the sear arm on that Investarms lock and have it handy to tell Jim.

FWIW I’m making up a left-handed half-stock flint rifle for the young son of a good friend and I bought a bunch of misc parts for cheap. I believe the stock & trigger assy to be CVA and although I got the LH Investarms flintlock inletted to line up perfectly with the pan and where the touchhole will be, the CVA sear arm is displaced by a good 3/8” (to the Investarms configuration) so I need to do some fiddling with it.

That said, although I also have custom flintlock arms, this is the 2nd Investarms flintlock assy I’ve played with (tried this lock in my existing LH Lyman GPR stock) ... and both spark/work flawlessly.

But I certainly understand your desire to upgrade and go custom, if you can!

Did you call L & R ?
muamero has a post a few lines down and he made the call to L & R and they got a LH lock for him. May work out in your favor, just a phone call away.

Yes, L&R still makes flintlock for Investarms/Lyman in LH and they have them in stock. If you want a percussion they can convert one over. See my post about LH Investarm stock.

Thank you all. I started that thread but stopped when it referenced percussion locks, won't do that again! There was a bunch of interesting posts about tuning Lyman locks.

I will contact L&R to discuss locks. This is excellent news.

Back