• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mocs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I've had good luck making moccasins from directions in Muzzleloader magazine, their Buckskinning series of books or the videos of Mark Baker. They are amazingly cheaper than buying mocs and work well. Feeling the ground through my mocs is an integral part of the pleasure I get from reenacting.

Centerseams:

Centerseams.jpg

wet_feet.jpg

Fleece mocs made from a thrift store coat:

FurMocs.jpg

Shoe packs of moose with blanket liners with three soles, two uppers for the really frigid days:

ShoePac.jpg

ShoePacs2.jpg

Spence

Nice work. I, too, like wearing mocs, but don't really like to make 'em. I do like the fleece mocks from the coat. I have seen one of those fleece coats at the local Goodwill store and wondered what I could use it for. Now I know. And I have a piece of elk that will work for a double sole. :grin:

I have heard that Michael Galban made a real good video on making woodland mocs. I included the DVD in an order made to Track today.

I'll write a critique after I view it.

God bless

msuspartandon said:
Nice mocs. Makes me want to make my own. Just need a harder sole (flat feet)

We city boys have tender feet, so I cheat a bit. I cut an insole of thin but hard leather and slip it into each of my thin summertime moccasins. I skive the edges thin so they are flexible, conform to my foot and can't be seen. I can dance on rocks with a smile on my face. Don't tell the history police!

Spence

Been interested in maybe making something like these... Anyone put them to practical use and actually hunt in them? I often wonder about how they dealt with walking the hills of Western PA in those things during the fall, winter, and spring...

How much? :) I tried making a pair and ended up cutting them up for something else. The toe would not work with me. :surrender:

I watched Michael Galban's "Constructing Woodland Moccasins" DVD, the other day. IMHO, it is worth buying. Michael is full blood NDN who works as an interpreter and researcher at a 17th Century NDN village, who has researched construction methods of 17th and 18th century Native clothing, including mocs. This vid will show you how to deal with those pesky toe seams that didn't exist on authentic mocs.

All in all, a real yawner, but I haven't' seen any instructional DVD that isn't. However, the information is well presented, the camera work is good, and if the instructions are followed, you will have very well made mocs.

God bless

The shoe packs on thr right, look exactly like mine. Even the color before they darkened. I made mine of double thick moose. I have Witney blanket liners in mine, wear wool socks, and my feet still freeze when on a deer stand in the 20°'s.

Hockeyref said:
Anyone put them to practical use and actually hunt in them? I often wonder about how they dealt with walking the hills of Western PA in those things during the fall, winter, and spring...

Next time I try to hunt with them on wet hillsides, whether rain or snow, grass or mud, I'm wearing crampons.

Really nice mocs those are some of the best ive seen.Are the fleece lined double fleece on the sole?

Good job Spence, I make mine oversize and purchase the thick rubber arch supported insoles for them. Not PC/HC but neither are my feet.
Brown Bear, I have some handmade laceon crampons
just for Mocs. Great on those wet hillsides.
Deadeye

spudnut said:
Are the fleece lined double fleece on the sole?
No, single fleece, but I sewed a thick elk hide double sole on those because sheepskin isn't tough enough.

These were made for frigid temperatures, so I made them big enough to wear a pair of simple shearing fleece moccasins inside them.

Spence

Wick Ellerbe said:
I have Witney blanket liners in mine, wear wool socks, and my feet still freeze when on a deer stand in the 20°'s.
I do the same, Wick, and have the same problem. When I first started wearing moccasins for my hunting and trekking I found out as everyone does that keeping your feet dry was just about impossible. That isn't a problem for me in temperatures down to about 40°, but it's a real nuisance below that. Tried to solve that problem by greasing the mocs, but that only lasts for a little time no matter how thoroughly you do it. I wound up cheating. I put on wool socks, slip a thin plastic bag over those, then put the moccasins or liners, whichever. This works very well when keeping warm means keeping dry, but I've found that it also is a big help for me when it's really cold. Even when it's cold enough that your feet stay dry because everything is frozen, they seem to trap heat and keep my feet much warmer.

Spence

George said:
Wick Ellerbe said:
I have Witney blanket liners in mine, wear wool socks, and my feet still freeze when on a deer stand in the 20°'s.
I do the same, Wick, and have the same problem. When I first started wearing moccasins for my hunting and trekking I found out as everyone does that keeping your feet dry was just about impossible. That isn't a problem for me in temperatures down to about 40°, but it's a real nuisance below that. Tried to solve that problem by greasing the mocs, but that only lasts for a little time no matter how thoroughly you do it. I wound up cheating. I put on wool socks, slip a thin plastic bag over those, then put the moccasins or liners, whichever. This works very well when keeping warm means keeping dry, but I've found that it also is a big help for me when it's really cold. Even when it's cold enough that your feet stay dry because everything is frozen, they seem to trap heat and keep my feet much warmer.

Spence

Now a days they call that "Vapor Barrier Technology", we use to just think it was putting old bread bags to good use. :haha:

Really nice mocs, I tried them, but cold clammy feet and falling down too much on wet leaves made me put the danners back on. I do carry them in my pack to put on around the fire of the evening. :redface: Chris

Yep, plastic bags inside the mocs works good, but ya still gotta deal with condensation, so I only use 'em in the coldest weather.

I found that a double sole with oiled canvas between the soles of shoepacks helps keep ones feet dry in wet grass or slightly sloppy conditions.

For center seam or pucker toe mocs, a thick double sole glued on with rubber cement, before stitching around the top of the outer sole, will keep one's feet dry better than the double sole shoepack.

God bless

Probably so JD, but I solved my frozen feet problem. If I'm going to have to sit still for more than an hour, I wear modern insulated boots. PC can go to that hot place when my eyes water from the pain of near frozen toes. :) :v

I use exclusivly Russel shoes ( www.russelmoccasin.com) on a day to day base.For hunting I use the Laramie Rough Out Oneida Tracker ( not origional 18th , I know) but it keeps me try and warm - there is a good explanation on the web site of how to construct moccasins - maybe it can be adapted to "fix" the real traditional moccasin....
The turtleskin is also highly recommended in between the sole....
I also had a "Rooster" moccasin - a very traditional moccasin andloved them but can't find the maker anymore....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back