• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mobil 1 grease for base pin lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Makel

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use this? I also heard it was good for over the ball lube too. Any help/insight is appreciated.

Yes, it works very well for both since it is non-petroleum based. Not PC, but for target/range work it will serve you well. Plus a tube will last a looong time!

Mazo, I tried it out and the Mobil 1 grease works very well. I'm much happier than I was using wads and bore butter. On a very hot day the Mobil 1 did not melt and the clean up was easy. I fired 36 rounds out of a Pietta 51 Navy .36. That's a lot for me. I also used Treso nipples on my revolver, the caps fit much better than on the Pietta nipples. Both of these things helped my revolver's performance.

Yep, I fired my Pietta Western Marshall .44 last week and not one bind-up in 4 cylinders full. I like it a lot for target shooting.

I haven't tryed it. I've used vaseline (OK), T/C's 'maxilube' (did well) and lanolin - also did well and much cheaper than maxi-lube.

redwing said:
Where is Mobile 1 Sold?

I purchased a tube in a Auto parts store, it's a red colored grease. Price was $7.95. It may be cheaper in a place like Wall Mart if they have it. My local Wall Mart didn't carry it.

Thanks Ruffin. I need something better for my Walker. I will try this product. :thumbsup:

Used to use mobil 1 myself as a much younger man and remember performance and cleanup to be very good, but some old timers on the range and a few "expert" internet posts steered me away from it for the reasons we usually hear with automotive products. I've since been using crisco, but the guns get warm enough to melt it after two cylinders full of shooting. I have a few tubes of redline synthetic lying around, might be time to give it a go with some of it and see what happens. Even if the cleanup sucks afterwards, at least I know it won't melt and leave a runny mess all over the frame and barrel.

Back