• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mixing Iron Nitrate Crystal for Wood Stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbpBurner

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got some Ferric Nitrate crystal on order to use for stock and tomahawk handle staining.

What is the proper mix - Saturated solution, or?

Is 90% isopropyl, or 1:1 isopropyl:water preferable?

Many decades ago I made a nitric acid + steel wool stain, but lost the notes on it long ago.

I don't know what the proper mix is. I have been told 4 or 5 parts water or alcohol to one part crystals by volume works well.

I perfer to use Dentured Alcohol for all my finishes as it doesn't raise the grain as much and dries quickly. Down side is it's more expensive than distilled water and anything left over evaporates faster...no worries though, just add more alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol will work but the water content will contribute to grain raising, if that bothers you. It is a lot cheaper.

I took an 8 oz. glass jar and filled it half full of alcohol and added about 3 or 4 tablespoons of crystals and shook it up. It turned a dark amber color. I wasn't too worried about measuring as I'm not planning on repeatable results as it reacts different on each piece of wood anyway. So, I just wing it. :wink:

For results see the Molly's Lehigh post down the page further. A couple pages in are some pictures of the lovely green color you get before you convert the FN with heat.

Hope that helps. Enjoy, J.D.

Thanks for the quick reply. I found some other info about 1:3 crystal to water ratio, but it seems a little stronger than what I'd want - yours is what I'll try & I have plenty of denatured alcohol on hand.

I've gotten the greenish cast on nitric acid applied directly to wood when it dries, but after heat is applied, the rosy blush appears so all is good. I'll go hunt for those other posts further in.

My basic recipe is 5 parts denatured alchohol to one water also, it seems the wood decides what color it turns anyway, some are reddish while some go more brown.

My basic recipe is 5 parts denatured alchohol to one water also, it seems the wood decides what color it turns anyway, some are reddish while some go more brown.
I will try that when I make more and I will see how the isopropyl alcohol does. Maybe just a small batch of each. My alcohol stove won’t pressure up so I have some spare 99%.

Back