• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Misfire after misfire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CCI caps for me. :thumbsup: and I like to stick with Black Powder. Never any problems with that combo. If you are using a substitute powder you may try a musket cap for a really hotter cap. Also make sure your breech area is clean. I use a air line fitting that a rethreaded to screw in to the drum and attach a piece of hose with a weight and toss it into a bucket of warm water. Then I use a jag and wet patch on my ramrod to create a suction and pull the water in and out through the fitting on the drum. This really cleans the drum and breech area quickly. This is the easiest way I have found to clean my caplock rifles.

Thanks to all replies. The next morning after posting this subject, I lost my internet connection and just got it back tonight. Dont know what happened. Went through all replies quickly and plan to read again when I have more time. To answear a few questions, I use Goex ffg powder, between shots I use TC #13 patches saturated with bore cleaner( they are pretty wet).With the ball I now use pillow ticking, I spray with a mist of windex.The caps fit very tightly on the nipple, I will check Sat to see if the hammer is falling off center on the cap.I have always cleaned my barrel very well from the get go,after learing how from this forum . Bucket of hot water with a tight patch and jag, I do that 2-3 times until water is pretty clean, then dry patches followed by a couple of bore cleaning patches , then a wet patch with ballistol oil, then store barrel down, clean again 2 days later. Have never used a breech plug scraper , but will get one. Thanks again for all the help,going to read through all replies again incase I missed anything.

If you are using a snug jag and real wet patch to swab the bore between shots, I think you are pushing the cruds, into the breech/drum/nipple area. This will cause exactly the problem you are having. Ideally, you will have a jag patch situation that is loose enough to slide past the cruds. Then when you pull the jag back out, the patch will bunch up,lifting the cruds with it.

Dave K has a point its a real good chance that really wet patch may be the problem. Just slightly damp is a plenty. With my 50cal. if I get carried away with the liquid on the patch all the crud gets pushed down and pretty soon the flash channel is blocked.
Next time you start having that problem. After firing and the gun is safe, pull the nipple if the nipple and the drum are beginning to show crud your patch is probably to wet and pushing everything down instead of pulling it back! That flash channel is pretty small and it doesn't take alot to block it up! It also may be what you are using on your patch to clean between shots.

Sounds to me like the patch between shots is too wet. I moisten a clean patch by laying it on my tongue - that's all. Then wipe the bore. Next shot, I reverse that patch and run it again.

Also, would not recommend the windex on the patched ball. Still using Spit Ball/Spit Patch (won a life time supply at a shoot) to wipe the ignition area and barrel before the first shot - helps with clean up - and an old concoction by a departed friend for patch lube. Note the word "lube" here. Windex has or used to have ammonia whitch evaporates quickly and no properties of lubrication.
TC

Back