• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

minie out of 50 cal flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odfairfaxsub

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i was just seeing if anyone used these before. im using 3 f powder too for charge. seems like a max charge of 55 grs would be it as they need to be pushed no harder than 1200 fps im going to guess. any tips or experience.

You don't mention what Minié you plan to use, and in which gun. Flintlock rifles usually have roundball rifling with deep groovs that doesn't favour Minié balls.

As far as I know, the only commercially available .50 calibre Minié balls are the ones Lee makes. I have tried the Lee Improved Minié in .50 calibre flintlock and percussion rifles with roundball rifling. And the result? Poor. The skirt is too thin and the grooves doesn't hold enough grooves.

The U.S. Army experienced the same problems when they handed out Minié ammunition to troops using the U.S. Model 1841 Percussion Rifle that had typical roundball rifling. The accuracy suffered because gas escaped into the deep grooves and passed the ball.

I have had fairly good results using a short two banded mini in deep groved rifles. I use a folded cloth patch between powder and greased mini to improve the seal. :idunno:

Back