• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military miquelet pistol? Or......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own two of the CVA boot pistols. One in used, working condition. The other in mint, unfired condition. The quality is at least as good as Pedersoli - or better.
I've never seen one of the larger CVA pistols come up for sale. I've heard the larger ones are prized by re-enactors in Spain.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG

Decided not to bid on it without inspecting it first. It did sell for $250.00. Maybe a member from the Forum got it and will post it.

Rick

I know this is a nigh on 3 year old thread, but I just picked up one of these same pistols recently. Gonna clean 'er up, and if the barrel is solid i intend to use it at the reenactment of the Battle of Camden this year. I will research more to see if I need to alter it to be more 18th centuryish, but it seems like it will clean up to a functional point for blanks and the very occasional light live load.

Attachments

• 20231006_220219.jpg
    20231006_220219.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231006_220633.jpg
    20231006_220633.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
WARNING !!! The barrel is likely a casting, not a forging or made of genuine gun barrel material. What looks like engraving on the barrel is actually part of the casting.

Rick

WARNING !!! The barrel is likely a casting, not a forging or made of genuine gun barrel material. What looks like engraving on the barrel is actually part of the casting.

Rick
I removed it, and there is a weird little soldering at the heel of the breechplug. I intend to try and melt that solder and then see if the "plug" has threads. Using a light I can tell that the plug face is chambered, like the plugs on CVA, Ardesa, Markwell, etc. However, that don't mean squat necessarily. If this barrels a fake, I'll just build me a Frankenpistol with the miquelet lock, a Jukar Colonial barrel, a hand carved stock, and a Japanese Harper's Ferry style long eared buttcap. It'll be a sight lol.
I am on the hunt for a suitable, shootable smoothbore pistol barrel as well.

I removed it, and there is a weird little soldering at the heel of the breechplug. I intend to try and melt that solder and then see if the "plug" has threads. Using a light I can tell that the plug face is chambered, like the plugs on CVA, Ardesa, Markwell, etc. However, that don't mean squat necessarily. If this barrels a fake, I'll just build me a Frankenpistol with the miquelet lock, a Jukar Colonial barrel, a hand carved stock, and a Japanese Harper's Ferry style long eared buttcap. It'll be a sight lol.
I am on the hunt for a suitable, shootable smoothbore pistol barrel as well.
That small amount of solder likely is just to hold the breech plug in place. Plug itself is likely not threaded. As mentioned, these pistols were made in Spain back in the 1950/60's as tourist items. That's when they made the tourist replicas fairly realistic looking. Again, if you look closely at the top of the barrel, you will see that the writing is not engraving, but cast in as part of the barrel.

Rick

That small amount of solder likely is just to hold the breech plug in place. Plug itself is likely not threaded. As mentioned, these pistols were made in Spain back in the 1950/60's as tourist items. That's when they made the tourist replicas fairly realistic looking. Again, if you look closely at the top of the barrel, you will see that the writing is not engraving, but cast in as part of the barrel.

Rick
Thanks for your knowledge on this Rick! Always appreciated.
Best,
A.J.

I know this is a nigh on 3 year old thread, but I just picked up one of these same pistols recently. Gonna clean 'er up, and if the barrel is solid i intend to use it at the reenactment of the Battle of Camden this year. I will research more to see if I need to alter it to be more 18th centuryish, but it seems like it will clean up to a functional point for blanks and the very occasional light live load.
Being a new member here Im not realy an expert on US firearms of the Revolution, but I would probably leave off the ramrod and forward band. These were considered very modern in 1800 - 1810s in military use in Europe. Probably too modern for a 1780s firearm.

With the exception of their earliest firearms, the Spanish preferred the use of barrel bands versus pinning to the stock. Military as well as sporting arms.

Rick

Latest posts

Back