• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horrible photo of Alamo miquelet pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally made it to the Alamo earlier this month and quite thoroughly enjoyed the new Collections Center to the rear of the church that just opened March 3. The majority of the artifacts in the collection were donated to the people of Texas by Phil Collins, the musician, who became fascinated by the battle for independence while a child in England, and collected for years.
The photo, unfortunately obscured by window reflections that I did not notice until later, is a single-shot pistol with miquelet lock fashioned from the branch of a mesquite for the stock.
For a much better view, I suggest "y'all come visit the Alamo" in person.
image_50370561.jpeg

when I walked within the old walls I felt like I was on hallowed ground.
That's because you were...

I was at the Goliad Massacre last weekend, and camped inside the Presidio walls.
At about 2am, fog made the courtyard look magical, with the lights for the Chapel giving a glow that is unforgettable.
Again, on hallowed ground...

I have visited the Alamo twice in past years while in San Antonio on business. It is an amazing site. On my first visit they had to kick me out at closing till the next day. LOL I wanted to stay one night at the nearby Davy Crockett Hotel. But that Hotel seems pretty much pre-booked most of the year. While entering my name and state location in the guest registration book (and making a donation) I couldn't help notice the amount of visitors from all over the U.S. Coast to Coast. I've heard that the Alamo has been self-funded by donations for many years.

Rick

If you haven't been there since March 3, you would not have seen the two-story Collections Center, which had a grand pre-opening for Friend of the Alamo members the evening before. It is a lovely space, and they had the sense to build it at the back of the property, well screened by mature trees, so as to try not to disturb that "hallowed ground" ambience. We reserved entrance tickets a head of time and just strolled right in.

Attachments

• image_50445057.jpeg
    image_50445057.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image_50432769.jpeg
    image_50432769.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image_67164161.jpeg
    image_67164161.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image_67220225.jpeg
    image_67220225.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Went to visit a few years ago but it was closed when I arrived. A real shame I didn’t get to go in but very cool to see it at all. Have to wait for the next USA trip

I know this is an old thread...however I just ran across it. Get to the Alamo shortly. I grew up in South Texas...still live in central Texas. Father born here in 1915, grandfather in 1890 and great grandfather came over from Austria just before the civil war.

Now back to the Alamo...been there so many times I can't count. We used to stay at the old hotel (think it was called The Menger) where Teddy R. recruited volunteers for the debacle in Cuba. Back to the hotel...this is what I wanted to say to begin with. Before midnight, you will hear a loud reverberating BOOM.......BOOM....BOOM beginning every hour. As a kiddo, it kept me up all night reliving the Battle...a deep Boom just a rock throw from the Alamo. Turns out it was speakers on the roofs of buildings around there, used to keep those rascal pigeons off due to the accumulation of their poop. But the BOOM sound sent a shiver down my back...really crazy huh? Here is a copy of the actual letter from W.B. Travis to Sam Houston: "Give me liberty or give me Death"
tempImagezzLJTW.png
tempImage7nrPXa.png
tempImagesBjSSB.png

Back