• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Melting lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Sawzall to cut the lead into smaller pieces. It seems to go a bit faster melting the lead. I put a newspaper below the lead being cut and add that also to the pot. Small pieces of lead melt faster and will apply more heat to the larger pieces.

What are some heating methods for melting down large quantities of lead

I have had good luck with Coleman liquid. Before we knew any better we used to melt our bullets on a wood cook stove, but the corn crib of house we lived in provided plenty of ventilation, I wouldn't think of it now.

best $22 you can spend

Bought one the other week and it melts my bulk lead QUICK! I use an aluminum pot to melt in and it'll hold close to 100lbs.
121143094_10158049540372875_2692830825272837846_n.jpg

best $22 you can spend

Bought one the other week and it melts my bulk lead QUICK! I use an aluminum pot to melt in and it'll hold close to 100lbs.
View attachment 45831

Mine say RCBS. Anyway, I've been thinking about using a Dremel tool to grind off the lettering in the ingot molds. Then cast a bunch of ingots and spray paint them gold after they cool.

There is a practical joke waiting somewhere with gold painted lead bars.

this is a thick aluminum pot, nothing cheap. No issues yet and will do for now until i find some cast iron to hold the heat longer. Thats about the only draw back it currently has.

this is a thick aluminum pot, nothing cheap. No issues yet and will do for now until i find some cast iron to hold the heat longer. Thats about the only draw back it currently has.
Try and envision a hundred pounds of molten lead cascading onto your feet..............
I have seen 2 aluminum pressure cookers with the bottoms fallen out.
One was my grandfathers the other belonged to a plumber melting lead for sewer pipe joints on a construction job.
The one on the jobsite resulted in a loss of several toes and some skin grafts on what was left.

Another warning from very experienced casters......
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314567
Aluminum will break down at 1300 degrees.
Pure lead at working temp is 750-800 degrees.
To get it that hot the vessel will need to be even hotter.
The margin of safety is not enough to prevent an accident.
Gas or propane fire can reach temps well over 2,000.
You get by with cooking in aluminum because nobody cooks at temps over 500 degreees.
Boiling water will keep the temp at 215-260 degrees in a pressure cooker.
Frying in oil will keep the vessel temp at less than 500 degrees.
Lead will not smoke or boil until it reaches temps far in excess of the aluminum pot failure point.
PLEASE don't use that for your lead.

Last edited:
Mine say RCBS. Anyway, I've been thinking about using a Dremel tool to grind off the lettering in the ingot molds. Then cast a bunch of ingots and spray paint them gold after they cool.

I paint my hard lead ingots so they dont get mixed up with the soft lead.

I have a friend that keeps saying that lead will be more valuable than gold when bad things happen. I ran across these on another site and ordered one for him as a joke, (got one for myself too). I'm not going to melt down my Lee ingots just too re-mold, but I'm ready for the next batch of raw lead. :thumb:

I have a friend that keeps saying that lead will be more valuable than gold when bad things happen. I ran across these on another site and ordered one for him as a joke, (got one for myself too). I'm not going to melt down my Lee ingots just too re-mold, but I'm ready for the next batch of raw lead. :thumb:

Got a link?

Latest posts

Back