• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Measuring cups?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is there a source for measuring cups that won't look totaly out of place in a primitive camp?
My 21st century persona isn't much of a cook so either is my 18th century persona. However, once in a while there is the need, and as I started doing an inventory of what I would need for a week long rondy, measuring cups came to mind. Most of my cooking will involve a spit or a skillet, but for some of the few other things...

Any cup you bring along can serve as a measuring cup. Just determine what they hold before you go.

On the other hand, besides baking (which depends on exact ratios, and even then, not so much), I can't think of any recipe that would absolutely require accurate measuring of anything.

A week-long rendezvous (for me) would entail bringing a small pot, a coffee pot (luxury), small frying pan, a tin cup, wooden noggin, a knife and spoon. All other food ingredients/items would easily fit in a knapsack.

Back Woods Tin has them in tin and copper under twenty bucks!
Have Fun
Phil

Some folks learn the ratios, so any container will work for some applications. For example for boiled white rice, whatever you use for the rice, you use the same container twice for the water.

Other folks simply get a 1/2 cup measure, it might actually be a measure, or some cup or mug that happens to hold a level, half-cup. So two of that = a full cup, and half of it (eyeball estimate) = a 1/4 cup. A 1/2 cup is also equal to a gill (pronounced "jill") of liquid, so you'd be set for rum rationing too.

LD

I just took a thin horn , put a base on it n sealed the inside real good, then dumping different ammounts of things into it, shined a light from the inside,(sunshine works fine) n scribed the outside sort of a crude scrimshaw with the amount ie. 1 cup, 1/2 a cup etc. Good ol Mom taught me the basics of cooking n she was never big on measureing, went more for the "look" and "texture" and finally the taste of stuff. :haha: a pinch of this a dose of that, maybe a skosh more of the other thing :hmm: . she had words for measurement I don't believe were ever in the English language :rotf: but it sure nuff always tasted good n I guess thats what really counts :)

I picked up a set of stainless steel cups and spoons for my cook box. I had a couple copper ones that were great but another person needed them worse off then me so I went that route. But you could take a tin cup and mark it at the measurements you want or need.

Back