• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Masonic clay pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.C.BINGAMAN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently been doing re-search on an interesting clay pipe excavated supposedly at George Washington's boy hood home, The stem is long gone but the bowl is intact.It appears from the pictures to be of a Williamsburg Tavern style advertised and bought as tourist trade.The part that sets this pipe apart from the usual historic dig sites is it has a masonic square and compass on the bowl face.I have contacted a pipe maker in Virginia about the possibility of creating this item,with poor results.I recently discussed this pipe at a Masonic lodge with fellow brothers.And there is interest in a re-production of this pipe. It would be a limited audience perhaps of an item of this nature. Question is would any one know of a clay pipe maker whom may be interested in such a production,internet search has yielded no results.AN APPALACHIAN HUNTER

Even with the decline in smoking there may be more interest than you might imagine among Masonic brothers. If it is pre 1820-30 there will be no G associated with the square and compass and it was not in widespread use till after time of the Civil War.

+1 on needing a link.

To all whom so far have responded I have tried the links and various web sites on the net to no avail, Fully understand the concerns with the "G" prior to the civil war. And will continue with research, currently at work and snuck in a few moments to check the results so far, when home I will post the site where first discovered the pipe.Fraternally yours an Appalichian Hunter.

hawkeye2 said:
Even with the decline in smoking there may be more interest than you might imagine among Masonic brothers. If it is pre 1820-30 there will be no G associated with the square and compass and it was not in widespread use till after time of the Civil War.

+1 on needing a link.

The "G" was the invention of Paul Revere for some silver work he did for a Masonic friend. Bro. Paul didn't make it to the Civil War. :wink: The "G" is a uniquely American thing that dates to the Revolution. A Google of "Masonic pipes" images brought up many-many examples for me.

Found the pipe being re-produced in the UK at DAWN MIST studio,From the pictures it appears to be exactly like the one at Georges boy hood home. She dates the pipe to the 1840 period? Thanks to all who helped. AN APPALACHIAN HUNTER

Actually, according to Coil's Masonic Encyclopedia, there is evidence of the "G" in England and France in the 1720s. http://phoenixmasonry.org/the_g_in_masonrys_emblem.htm

"Historically, the square and the compasses were used in architecture and have been in Masonry since time immemorial, and this explains their presence in the Freemasonry we practice today. Whereas the Letter G appears to have entered Freemasonry as late as the 1700s. The prevailing notion is that there is no trace of the Letter G in the numerous English and Scottish catechisms that appeared during the years 1696 to 1730. However, in 1726 there was published in London a newspaper advertisement re-garding "Antediluvian Masonry," which seemed to be a skit on Dr. Desaguliers and his friends, and was obviously written by some well-informed person. The advertisement announces that there will be several lectures on Ancient Masonry, particularly on the Signification of the Letter G. If the 1726 date is correct, then this advertisement contains the earliest references known to us about the Letter G. Furthermore, the Wilkinson manuscript is a catechism tentatively dated c. 1727 and it says: "Q. What is the centre of yr Lodge? A. The Letter G." The frontispiece to Cole's Constitutions, which is dated 1728/29, clearly shows a letter G in the head of an arch at the right of the central figure. The use of the Letter G was definitely established in the
Masonic ritual by Samuel Prichard in his tremendously popular 1730 Exposure, printed under the name of Masonry Dissected. Because Prichard introduced new developments, one of which was an explanation of the Letter G, it does not mean that he invented these developments. In the first place, there is the above mentioned 1726 newspaper reference to the G,and in the second place the rather archaic doggeral verse in which the G is handled in Masonry Dissected suggests some measure of antiquity. It is far more likely that the Letter G and other explanatory aspects were traditional material in Craft lore long before the Speculative expansion had begun and the accretive bulkiness of the ritual had started to afflict"

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Interesting! Thank you! I knew the G was Pre Revolutionary War, but not that it went that far back. Fredericksburg Lodge No.4 (Fredericksburg, VA) has two highly decorated original Chairs from the mid 1700's. (I can't remember if it was the 1740's or 1760's, but I think the former.) These chairs came from Scotland and the Master's Chair has the G along with the Square and Compasses.

Gus

Yes. Absolutely. The letter 'G' is part and parcel of Masonic teachings. That is not questioned. But, it's use in the square and compasses symbol did not appear until our boy, Paul put it there. According to all I have read.

Latest posts

Back