• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Manhattan Pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lige

32 Cal
Reaction score
5 shot .30 caliber. Still very functional. Has plenty of handling marks but it all works. Someone commented that you can fire all 5 barrels with 1 or 2 pulls of the trigger. Ha! I offer a 3 day inspection with full refund less shipping. Feel free to contact me for more info or pics.
$850 + actual shipping

IMG_1040 (Medium).JPGIMG_1042 (Medium).JPG

For those who don't know, having more than one barrel fire when the primary barrel did was a common feature of the pepperboxes.
Notice, all of the nipples have a shroud going around them hiding them from view.
This shroud often caused the sparks from the percussion cap and the flame from that barrel firing to be directed around the area where the percussion caps are.
That is what caused the multiple barrel chain fire.

As a side note, Colt, on his first Paterson pistol also shrouded the rear of the cylinder. This resulted in chain firing of multiple chambers, just like the pepperbox. To solve the problem he removed the shroud and left a wall of chamber material between the nipples, sinking them down into machined slots. He patented this idea and sued anyone who tried to use some sort of "dam" between the nipples. This explains why the nipples on your cap and ball pistol are down in recesses.
By the time Remington started making their 1858 style revolvers, the Col;t patent had run out and no longer applied.

Now, back to the selling of this neat pistol. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Zonie, I appreciate the history. Personally, If I wanted to fire this pistol at an up close hostile the ignition of additional barrels might be welcome. 30 cal balls are small.
cheers,
Lige

Five or six of them though is one heck of a shotgun blast. Good luck with the sale OP, very neat little popgun!

Thanks Zonie, I appreciate the history. Personally, If I wanted to fire this pistol at an up close hostile the ignition of additional barrels might be welcome. 30 cal balls are small.
cheers,
Lige

Back