• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Man-eater warthog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys
Shot my first warthog two days ago with my Lyman Trade rifle .50(90gn FF and a REAL320gn). The shot was good(or at least i thought so), just behind the shoulder but man this piece of bacon was tough. After the first shot, the pig ran in circles and was slowly coming towards me. I quickly tried to load up another shot but got a bullet stuck halfway down the barrel. I couldnt find anythind to hammer the ramrod down with, so holding the rifle i rammed the ramrod against a tree and broke the rod in two places. I had no other option but to fire with the jammed bullet. After the smoke cleard, and examining my head to make sure it was still in one piece, i noticed that i missed the warthog, lovely, now what? The pig was still comming towards me, at one point i was holding my lyman buy the barrel ready to bash that piglets head in as he passed only 3 or 4 meters away from me. I dropped the rifle and ran back to my car and grabed my trapper .50 pistol and loaded it with 50gn FFF and a patched .490 rb and ran back to the pig. As i walked up to where the pig was last seen, the bugger came out of the bushes straight for me. I promptly gave him a head-ache that put him down for good. That was one hair-raising hunt. From now on, my trapper will always be tucked into my belt and my tomahawk will be on my back.
I take my hat off to our/my forefathers that used to go out after dangerous game with voorlaiers, hell.... i was almost done in by a warthog.

dylan,
That is a great story, written up with a little
more thought and adjectives i am sure you could get it
published in an outdoor magizine. Heck if nothing else
write to Lyman and tell them the story. Pictures would
certainly add to the story. I'm glad you were not hurt.
Sure would like to see some pictures.
Thanks for sharing the story.
snake-eyes :applause: :hatsoff:

Holy smoke pole...
That is one heck of a story!!! Man "O" man poop in your leggings for sure... Maybe we should ask the forum for their "just missed me tales". I certainly am glad you are OK. That was also good you went back and finished it off... Pics of the critter would be great, pics of your smoke polls also. Say did you get the beast mounted?
Good thinking and be glad you are not up here in Canada, all we can carry extra is a knife, and an axe. Once again that was a great story...
Best regrads (and respect)
Loyalist Dawg :applause: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :RO:

Well now that sounds like an exciting day afield. :shocking:

Now you know why tight target loads ain't such a good idea for hunting. :winking:

I have three balls with 0.010" patching on my horn strap - I usually use 0.018". I can set them with a single push even in a fouled barrel.

don't know about SA pigs, but russian boars have very very thick shoulder plates, and it usualy divertes your 'well placed' shot somewhere inside, still enough to kill, but not enough to kill fast and on spot. they run like crazy, and run after you most of the time. mean things, and they can kill too. climb a tree or something where they can not, and wait.
you lucky!!!! :front:

It sounds like you'll remember that hunt for a long time:haha: Glad to hear you were able to close the deal without getting hurt (by gun or beast!).

Back