• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making wood grips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I didn't wait until "the snow flies". Sadly the ebony I have is not wide enough but I did make a grip from cocobolo following the 3 piece method kindly detailed by Phil Coffins. Here are a few pix.

Attachments

• IMG_6310.JPG
    IMG_6310.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6311.JPG
    IMG_6311.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6317.JPG
    IMG_6317.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6327.JPG
    IMG_6327.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6338.JPG
    IMG_6338.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
What type of glue did you use?
I researched gluing cocobolo as it is considered difficult to glue by some. After this I thought it best to use an epoxy adhesive and to wipe the surfaces to be glued with acetone right before gluing. I did that and the wood used as the spacer is cherry not cocobolo. I did that to conserve my cocobolo stash and also thought it might glue up better that way.

Anyway I used Gorilla Glue 2 part epoxy. This product had many negative reviews with users saying that the epoxy never cured. After using it I can see how that happened. You must have equal amounts of resin and hardener for proper curing but the dispenser and the unequal viscosity of each made getting equal amounts difficult. But in my case it seemed to work quite well.

Back