• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making wire inlay chisels from a hacksaw blade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billnpatti

Cannon
Reaction score
I have finally worked up the courage to attempt some wire inlays in an old gunstock. It will be my first attempt and it will be a learning experience. My problem is a lack of the proper chisels. I have read in several places about making the chisels from hacksaw blades. Can any of our members tell me how to do this? I assume that you simply break the blade into usable pieces but then what? Do I anneal them and then grind them to shape. If so, what is the best way to anneal the pieces? How do I shape them to the desired curves? How do I re-temper them? I am one ignorant soul when it comes to making inlay chisels from a hacksaw blade. Someone take me by the hand and wipe away the scales of ignorance from my eyes. Please! :hatsoff:

There is a book you might really enjoy reading. it is called the Complete Modern Blacksmith, by Alexander Weygers. it will contain pretty much everything you need to know, how to curve them etc. everything except maybe the proper angle of the edge.

What? Only one answer? Surely someone out there has done this and can tell me how to do it. My local library doesn't have the book that was recommended nor any other that has the information that I need. Nothing about making the chisels on You Tube either. I need some help here. Someone? Anyone?

The book you are looking for is "Recreating the American Longrifle" by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander. Of course you should have the book to cover all the other aspects of long rifle building.

Chapter 30 on Wire inlay has the instructions to make you chisels from discarded hacksaw blades. You need about 6 of various widths and degrees of curves.

No need to mention, but Dave's instructions are good too.

A local gun builder uses pieces of heavy piano wire and the wire used for landing gear in RC airplane models to make tiny chisel blades that he uses to make tight curls in his wire inlay work.

I use a lot of hacksaw blade chisels for inletting. Score across the blade at 2" lengths, fit it in a vise and break it off. I use a Dremel carbide disc to smooth the broken ends and grind the teeth back from the cutting edge. They are hard, but the main blade is not and can be filed. Grind (or file) a bevel on the cutting end. To make a curve, pinch it in the vise against a drill bit or any curved surface of the radius you want and tap the blade to that shape. If you want a tight radius, say 1/4", heat the blade red and do the same. I don't reharden them after. They are very easy to make and can be resharpened with a file.

Back