• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making my own balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen pictures of aluminum pots that have been loaded up, and then the bottom gave out. No one was hurt but the mess looked nasty. The guy got lucky in the pictures I saw. Ron

Here's a cheap lead pot. I had a 78 Dodge truck, the front disc brakes had a bakelite cup in them and when they got hot would chatter and stick. The replacement cup was steel. These make good pots as are big enough to dip out of. Have to check the junkyards. I saved one of my old ones. If the steel got marred you had to replace them. Dilly

If you're casting ball for PRB in a rifle then any wheel weight will do but for the C&B revolvers I would suggest only the Adhesive Wheel Weights.

Clip On Wheel Weights are 95% Lead, 2.5% Antimony, 1% Tin & 1.5% Trace Elements & would be pretty hard for Muzzle Loading Ball "can be used" & Conicals not to mention that the finished projectile would be about .002 avg. larger than stated size on the mold "so patch adjustment may be necessary for PRB."

Adhesive Wheel Weights are 98% Lead, .75% Tin, .50% Antimony, & .75% Trace Elements & are quite soft enough for Muzzle Loading Ball & Conicals.
I've been using Adhesive W.W. for several years taking several Deer & loads of targets with them, I shoot .457 Ball out of all my C&B Revolvers too using the same Lead & they are as easy to load as Store Bought Hornady .457's.

Back