• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nw_hunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is anyone on the forum making their own percussion caps, with the Forester Tap O Cap, and toy pistol caps? If so, how reliable are they?

Generally, they work better if you glue in more than one "cap". But, you have to take your time, and most folks just don't have the patience for that kind of work. The caps are black powder charges, while modern percussion caps use a different chemical compound that is more sensitive to impact. You have to clean off the top of the nipple after each shot, AND, you have to use a gun where the hammer strikes a new nipple squarely, to insure reliable firing of these home-brewed caps.

If you are using an old nipple, or if you have never square the face of the hammer to the top of the nipple, ( resulting in the hammer hitting on one side of the nipple or another, but not squarely on the whole nipple), you can have problems. They do not produce the same quality or quantity of flame with caps, as a modern percussion cap makes. So, I would not advise using them with the Substitute powders, which have higher ignition temperatures than Black Powder. :thumbsup:

i recall some fellow asking about them, last month i think it was. what i got out of the post was, (after reading all the comments) save your time, money, buy maf caps, if you what to make them for the sake of making them 50/50 they will work.

Adding to Pauls comments, if you have access to a cap pistol and some caps for it, take them along with a store bought percussion cap or two and a caplock gun into a closed room.

Maybe you want to take some cotton balls to plug your ears or your shooting earmuffs along too.

Now, fire a few of the toy caps.
Now fire a percussion cap.

You will hear a tremendous difference. So much so that you will fully understand why the fulminate in the percussion caps is not used in any toy cap pistols.
It could and would damage any kids hearing if he fired 500 or 1000 caps that used that stuff to produce the bang.

I tried it years ago. They're terrible. You have to double or triple up caps to even get the gun to go off half the time. They're sensitive to moisture too. It's just not worth the hassle and frustration.

You are right about the power, but you can deal with the moisture issue by adding a piece of plastic wrap to the inside of the cap, while the glue is still wet enough to stick to the plastic. Use an old nipple to put the plastic over, then put the tap-o-cap on the nipple, and trim the plastic before removing.

After reading all this, I believe it'd be easier to make your own fulminate! (My tongue is firmly in my cheek, btw.)

I'll just continue to buy mine...

I have the solution to the problem of homemade caps not being reliable. Buy a flintlock!

Buy a Flintlock.
LOL! Well that is one way I suppose.

I didn't really think about running out and buying a Tap o Cap.I was reading an old Muzzleblasts Mag.(1987)and saw an ad by Forster selling them.Thanks for the reply's fellas!

I bought a Tap-o-cap years ago and made up some caps just to see. The instructions tell you to use two caps in each casing.
They work but not nearly as reliably as a standard #11 cap. They work best with real BP. The big thing is the quality of the roll caps being used. I was able to acquire some roll caps made in Europe and the difference is quite obvious when compared to domestic roll caps.
The best use for the Tap-o-cap is as a back up for extreme circumstances - like you cannot buy standard #11s at all ever. You'd at least be able to shoot some with the homemade versions.
Pete

I buy mine a thousand at a time, in person, and get a discount off of the regular single-unit per can cost.

If it ain't broke......... :idunno:

Dave

Much easier than the "tap-o-cap" is to just buy the plastic toy ring of caps and cut out the individual caps. The soft plastic will stretch to fit about any nipple and stay on well. They have enough power to fire Goex pretty consistently on a gun with good ignition design, which most don't have. Another problem that should be mentioned is that the toy caps are extremely corrosive.

I believe toy caps have sand or something in them as frictionizer. I don't know how detrimental that would be in blackpowder guns since they shoot at such low velocities. With cartridge guns, powdered glass or sand frictionizer is bad.

I have one and haven't used it for years. Greeny stick-um caps worked well, but when I couldn't find them anymore, I had to use two of the red roll caps to work. I plan on holding onto mine just incase "they" ever decide to outlaw or tax #11 caps into oblivion.

Back