• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

making a vent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1976 DGW Pennsylvania rifle in cap. I am changing it to flint ,the lock is in but when I pulled the drum it's 3/8 ×16 so I need to make my own. some say to use a hex head set screw and I guess drill a1/16 hole. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks,Bruce

Use a common 3/8-16 screw.

Peen a shoulder on the outside edge of the vent liner as a stop.

Chamfer the vent liner hole in the barrel for the peened shoulder to stop against.

You could even countersink the backside of the vent liner to bring the powder closer to the touch hole.

Attachments

• IMG_2859.JPG
    IMG_2859.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2860.JPG
    IMG_2860.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 0
Yep ...make a custom liner or just plug the hole and drill a new touch hole .....its easy . I like the " just plug it " scenario . Drill , tap , expocy on threads , screw in bolt . Cut end on out side ,file flat on outside , clean up.on inside if necessary .... Reassemble firearm , mark and center punch T.H. position , drill the touch hole .... Easy peezy. Done it many times , esp. when someone put the T.H. in the wrong spot and I have to fix it

Last edited:
You can probably get away with a common bolt or machine screw, but the thread fit on these are generally about pathetic. It would be better to get a split die and thread a piece of stock for a good fit.
I wish I could buy a 3/8 × 16, but can only find 24 tpi I believe you lighting vents are 32 tpi. so seems this is the only thing I can do. I'll let others suggest fixes and go with the best suggestions. Thanks, Bruce

up grade, I used a set screw hex out, measured width of the barrel ground down to clear a cleaning jag and drilled a 1/16 hole . The powder lays next to the set screw .It does look a bit large but it funnels the heat well. Now if I want to change to percussion, unscrew vent screw in drum. Like @Rob M. said ez pezy .thanks to all for your suggestions. Bruce

Back