• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mag Spark tolerance problem & solution?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have looked through some posts about the mag spark and know there is a clearance issue with some locks including TC guns. At half cock it can sit close to or on top of the mag spark - not good. Was wondering if putting a spacer like a cut off 44 or 45 blank to cover the mag spark and hold the lock between full and half cock would have any affect on the internal parts of the lock. Would only be for the time someone was hunting. Thanks

Hi shep, I can't see the harm in that, but while watching their videos I immediately saw the danger of using the leather pad I use over #11 caps, with the rifle on half cock, if I changed over to the mag spark. Any mishap and you are dealing, essentially with a firing pin. Exactly why the old 6 shot SA Army revolver was really a 5 shot. I think your solution could work, but with having to unscrew the cap for each shot, I decided that I am having enough success with the #11 to not want that irritation. If my rifle does not go bang for an animal this season, I may rethink that. I use t-7, 2 and 3 f. More savvy smokepolers will be along to note any problems if any, you may encounter. Good luck. SW

Huntinshep,
If you mean putting the mouth of the case over the magspark and have the case hold the hammer up (so that the case was removed when you went to full cock), it oughta work like a charm. Makes me think that a piece of copper tubing that the front of the hammer fits inside of mite work even better. Would be a simple task to make one with a lanyard attached to the trigger guard.

Back