• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made some meat today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Nearly each morning I park my truck about 3 to 4 miles from work and walk the 6 to 8 mile round trip journey as a means of exercise for both the body and mind. I find it a great way to start the day as well as end it.

Well this morning while gathering the kids together to take them to school, something inspired me to grab my 32 Cherokee. Perhaps it was the cool Fall Vermont air or something more, but either way, I dropped the kids off, drove to my parking spot and began my trek to work. I call it a trek as its a 4 mile walk on wooded railroad tracks that cut through a beautiful valley along one of my favorite local fishing rivers. (See attached photo)

Of course I have seen allot of game on the tracks over the years but this year I noticed allot more rabbits than usual. Well sure enough I came to the head of a game trail that crossed the tracks and there was this big ole cotton tail broadside at 25 yards. Could I be more blessed?
I took aim and my old 32 came through just when I needed her most.
Tonight its going to be fresh rabbit with leaks.

This is after two days ago when my 8 year old son made his first kill as a licensed hunter. A beautiful 20 yard shot with his 22 (wish I grabbed the Cherokee) on a perched chipmunk.

True to family tradition "If you Kill it you eat it" (except for varmint) we quartered that chipmunk, took out the tiny tenderloins and cooked it all up in a pan with butter and onions. As you could imagine, not much meat but very tasty and memories that will last two lifetimes.

You Sir are a lucky guy!
It warms my heart to see these moments ...
Enjoy them while they last.
Good shooting there Tex!
And your shot on the rabbit is not to shabby either. :grin:

Chipmunk drumsticks, yum! sort of like dove drumsticks, huh? Great job, by the way! :hatsoff:

wvbuckbuster said:
That's cool! Never gave it any thought about eating Alvin :rotf: Dan.

I wish someone would have eaten Alvin 45 years ago .. especially at Christmas time with that song they do. :yakyak:

Patocazador said:
I wish someone would have eaten Alvin 45 years ago.

Hey, I'm from Alvin...only town in Texas named for a singing chipmunk!! :rotf:

Thank you!
Great story, please congratulate your son for me.
I have two boys a bit younger than yours and they can accompany me but there won't be legal hunting until they are 16 - oh boy.
The cotton tail was a good shot, too. By the way I like your way to work - wanna swap against 20 miles of highway :wink: I guess not :grin:

Silex

Latest posts

Back