• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a couple of Hunting Bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
G/Day Folks, been having a great time making these 2 Hunting Bags. I only had Suede Leather on hand and worked out the Patterns from images I saw Online. Since I finished these Bags I have bought a copy of "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Bag" and a more suitable piece of Leather. I'll choose a Pattern and make another soon as I finish another Project I've started.

The Bag with the White Hunters Star still needs a Strap, I am thinking I might just add Belt Loops to it. I used a 1" woven Cotton Strap on the Bag with the Red Hunters Star. Both are lined with Canvas. The Red Star Bag has an internal Pocket.

As can be expected my Teenage Girls have been giving me a hard time about my recent Hand Bag fetish

Jacko50 said:
As can be expected my Teenage Girls have been giving me a hard time about my recent Hand Bag fetish

Maybe they really just want the bags for themselves :wink: All kidding aside, nice work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice work, but no way I'd carry that white one in the woods around here during deer season. When you finish the one of propped leather based on the book, why not give your girls "handbags" made by dear old dad?

(insert mad scientist laugh here)

BWAHAHAHA!

another one turned to the dark side!!

seriously, those are really nice looking bags, but I agree that you ought not to take the one with the white star out during deer season... some people in the woods with guns ought not to be there, and might mistake you for something they want to turn from a woodland creature into little white packages in the freezer. such people are, in my opinion and experience, not only possessed of poor judgment (or have none at all), but have the mental bandwidth of the average goldfish, and are likely to launch lead in your general direction, because that's what they saw in some stupid Hollywood movie. so - don't take the risk ...

you're off to the very rewarding addiction ... as regards your girls' attraction to the 'handbags,' well, as it says in the Bible, "Be ye not afraid..." (2 Esdras, 16:75) ... just make it clear to them that these are not handbags, these are hunting bags: a handbag is carried, and these have straps. Then, make sure that there's a bloodstain somewhere on each of them (visible, but discreet).

If this doesn't work, all is lost, your kids will join you in the dark side: make them their own bags, and take them hunting with you.

good luck with your project, and make good smoke!

Thanks for the comment Fela's, appreciate it

We don't have Hunting Seasons and I only Hunt on Private Property where one Hunting Party at a Time is allowed. Lots of White Goats scattered in them thar Hills and the Deer here have white rump Patches, point well noted.

My Girls and my Wife have Bambi Syndrome BAD,REAL BAD, they don't like Game Meat in the Freezer and don't appreciate I'm a Hunter. That's their Problem, that more Venison, Goat, Rabbit whatever for me and the Cat sure appreciates the Scraps when I portion the Meat

As for the White Star it was a case of that was the only piece of coloured Leather I had left. I'm actually not that enamored with the White Hunters Star so this Pouch has been relegated it to my Medieval Costume which gets used twice a Year when I do Bow making demonstrations at the Abbey Medieval Fayre and the Gold Coast Renaissance Fair.

Yeah bitten by the Bug Hard, this morning I layed out another Hunting Bag and did a little File work on a Patch Knife I'm making. I used the first Pattern in the TC Albert Book, the one with the Weeping Heart Inlay. I was checking Centres on the Templates and noticed the Flap in not even, so badly out of wack the Pouch would not Stitch together evenly. Made a new Flap Template

regards Jacko

Cool. And that's actually a good RenFair or misc. possibles bag w/the white star anyway.

Look forward to the Weeping Heart...

Very nice work, Jacko! I've made one hunting pouch/bag and now I'm hooked. I'll be making another one within a year.

Back