• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Machining marks in bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got this barrel in and after cleaning a bunch of dust out of the bore I see that there are machining marks on the lands. Are these normal? I only use patched round balls so there wont be direct contact between the bullet and the lands but it seems that this is something that should not be there. I've never seen that on a modern barrel and I've only seen it on my Spanish CVA pistol which I don't consider more than a cheap lead thrower.
P1480712.JPG

Don't worry about it. My factory barrels have smooth lands, but the grooves are rougher than a gravel road. Doesn't seem to affect how they shoot or clean up.

Like others have said, don't worry about it. Shoot it enough and they will smooth away. You didn't say the make of your gun. I wouldn't expect those marks in the higher end guns but the cheaper production guns, yes. Lap it if you like or even fire lap it.

It's a Rice replacement barrel for a TC Hawken. It's a beautiful rifle but I have a hard time dealing with rifles that don't use stones for ignition so I'm converting it to flint. Thanks for the words of wisdom. This site is the best.

Lube about a half dozen maxi-balls with fine valve-grindin’ compound and fire-lap it.

JB Non-embedding Bore Cleaning Compound (from Brownell's and probably other sources) did a very good job rescuing a pitted barrel I own. It takes a while but the results are worth the effort.

You're likely to find tool marks in any barrel that is not lapped by the maker. In muzzleloaders it makes very little difference in how they operate.

I polished a T/C Hawken barrel with a proper cast lead lap and fine lapping compound and eliminated machine marks and tight spots. So called lapping with steel wool or any other like stuff will never do as thorough a job. My rifle loads slicker than snot.

I just got this barrel in and after cleaning a bunch of dust out of the bore I see that there are machining marks on the lands. Are these normal? I only use patched round balls so there wont be direct contact between the bullet and the lands but it seems that this is something that should not be there. I've never seen that on a modern barrel and I've only seen it on my Spanish CVA pistol which I don't consider more than a cheap lead thrower.
View attachment 72317
Looks like all my Savage barrels.....

Dave

Back