• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Weight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rami

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm considering a new Lyman .54cal Deerstalker. However the figure I see for the weight of the rifle is 9 lbs. Can anyone tell me what the "real" weight of both the Deerstalker & the Trade Rifle are? Based on my .50 Hawken weighs 8.3lbs, I don't believe the Lyman weight figures are correct.

btw, new here. My first post. Thanks in advance.

Never put a scale to either, but let me work backwards a bit. Lyman lists the shipping weight of the Great Plains rifle as 11.6#, but TOW lists the 50 cal at 9.2# and the 54 cal at 9# even. I'm betting the 10.4# they claim for the Deerstalker is shipping weight too, and the rifle is more than a couple of pounds lighter.

My wife's 54cal Deerstalker is more than a pound lighter than my GPR 54. Fingertip scales and math makes be guess it's on the order of 7-7.5#, but someone with a scale could do more than guess for you. I find accounts of the Lyman Trade Rifle weighing 7#, and that's more on the order of the Deerstalker.

Excellent! Thanks guys.

Gene, do you have that link for the Trade Rifle also? Somehow I'm not finding that info. I'd guess maybe 1/2 a lb more?
And yes I assume the figures I saw was for shipping weight also.

Could be. In any event it gives me the info I wanted and none available locally to inspect. I was looking to go lighter/shorter than my Hawken. I think the Deerstalker is it. The Trade Rifle is probably close to the same as the Hawken.

I have a Lyman Deerstalker and I'm here to tell ya that it surly doesn't weigh no 9 pounds. It's a hefty little bush gun with a 26" barrel. Great for packing around. Mine is a .54. It definitely is a powerful Thumper!

Holding mine, I'm guessing that it weighs in between 6 or 7 pounds.

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

Never weighed the one I have but it's at least 7.5 lbs. I also have a TC PA Hunter carbine which has a 21" barrel. It's a much slimmer rifle and weighs a good bit less.

After switching off every couple times out I have decided to put mine on a diet and slim it down a bit. Off comes the recoil pad to replace with a shotgun universal butt plate (length of pull is too long for me at 14.5" for offhand snap shooting). Off comes the big heavy bulb of wood that forms the cheek piece. I will probably thin down the forearm a bit and remove one of the ramrod thimbles and move the studded one to the center of the underrib and endmill out some metal on the backside of the rib. I hope to get a pound or so off of it. It's most accurate with 80 grains of black so recoil isn't going to change much.

After a day of stomping thru the thick brush with the Deerstalker I got to wishing I had the TC carbine in my hands. The Deerstaker has a good lock and the trigger is light and crisp and hits a good bit harder with it's .54 ball but it's no where near as handy as the TC carbine is.

The 2011 Dixie Gunworks catalog shows the .50 caliber Deerstalker weighs 7 1/4 pounds and the .54 caliber weighs 7 pounds.

Hope this helps. :)

I went through my files to find the book that came with the Deerstalker and it say's 7.5 for it and 8.0 for the Trade rifle. The Trade barrel is 4" longer than the Deerstalker so that's got to be at least half a pound right there.

The Deerstalker is very butt heavy even with the pad removed. Mine is getting slimmed down until it balances more like a Winchester 30-30.

You guys are a fountain of information. It's truly appreciated. Glad I found this site.

Based on a digital bathroom scale, the actual weight of the stainless 50 cal Deerstalker is 7.8 lbs. The 54 cal version should weigh a little less since it has less metal.

Back