• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman or Investarms Max Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
There is a sub topic in the thread "Cabelas Updated" that I would like to share with everyone.
If you buy a lyman rifle you receive two manuals, a yellow one from Investarms (Manufactor) and one from Lyman (brand name).
For max charge for the Great Plains Rifle these two manuals contradict each other. Lyman is 20 grns higher on there max than Invest. says, so I called Lyman (800-22-LYMAN) They said they used to follow Investarms proofing and printed the samething they did.
Lyman then did their own proofing (between 1999-2003) and came up with the numbers that are now printed in their manual and to follow them because they have done extensive research and found then to be very safe even though they are 20grns higher than the manufactorer suggests.
The lady on the phone told me to follow all the info in the Lyman Owners Manual.
Just some info I thought I would pass on
WI Smoke

In the .54 120grns with RB, 110 with Conical 2f
in the .50 110grns with RB, 100 with Conical 2f

WI Smoke

Drop each of those numbers by 20grns if you are using 3f as told by the same manual
WI Smoke

WI Smoke said:
In the .54 120grns with RB, 110 with Conical 2f
in the .50 110grns with RB, 100 with Conical 2f

WI Smoke

Thanks for letting me know, I came across mine used with no manual. I'm shooting 50 cal. 70grs. for rb. and 90 grs. with a 270 gr. ballet

I got both manuals with my .54 cal GPR caplock and I noticed the difference. I'm not sure why there is one unless Lyman has done some independant testing of their own and determined it could handle bigger charges.

Latest posts

Back